Ommegang abbey clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one I found by Googling "extract Ommegang abbey clone". :D Looks about right. NB: Ommegang use their own yeast strain which I've read was developed from Duvel. Dunno if WL or Wyeast sell it. You may have to culture.

Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone

1074 OG 1013 FG
22 IBU 27 SRM 7.8% ABV

5 lb. 9.6 oz. Pilsner malt
2.25 lb. aromatic malt
1 lb. 6.4 oz. crystal 20
2.25 lb. Briess Special Roast malt (50 Lovibond)
2.66 lb. Corn Sugar
6.25 AAU Styrian Goldings (60 min) (1.25 oz. of 5% alpha acids)
.33 oz. Styrian Goldings (0 min)
.25 oz. Curacao Orange Peel
.5 oz. Licorice root
Wyeast 1214 or cultured Ommegang yeast

Step mash with a 10 min. rest @ 113, 10 min @ 144, 15 min. @ 154 and 15 min. @ 162, and 5 min @ 169. Boil for 90 min, adding corn sugar at start of boil. Add orange peel and licorice for final 15 min of boil. Ferment at 76-84 (yes, that hot) Condition for 2 weeks at 28 degrees. Carbonate to 3 vols.

Extract w/grains

3.33 lbs. Weyermann Bavarian Pilsner LME (late addition)
1 lb. 2 oz. Pilsner malt
see AG recipe for remainder of ingredients starting with aromatic malt

Heat 10.5 qt. steeping water to 124. In a separate pot heat 7.9 qt. of rinse water to 170. Place crushed grains in a large steeping bag and submerge bag in your brewpot. Heat steeping water quickly to 144, stirring occasionally, then turn down heat and slowly raise temp to 169. It should take about 30 minutes to go from 144 to 169. Remove the grain bag and place in a colander over your brewpot. Rinse grains slowly and evenly with hot rinse water. Heat this "grain tea"-approximately 17.4 qts- to a boil.

Boil wort for 60 min, adding corn sugar at the beginning of the boil and hops at time indicated. (There is no DME in the recipe) Add LME, orange peel and licorice with 15 min. left in the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Add water to make 5 gallons, aerate and pitch yeast. See the all grain recipe for fermentation and other remaining instructions.

Thanks man. I did use the HBT search function and looked through five pages on the inter-web before posting though. All I could find were Hennipins!

Weird. Perhaps it was adding the "abbey" to the parameters. Perhaps my Search-Fu is stronger than yours, young grasshopper.

:D

Anyway, you've got a place to start.

Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone
Condition for 2 weeks at 28 degrees. Carbonate to 3 vols.

Ok, so I'm new to the whole brewing thing. and ive been trying to find a recipe for the ommegang abbey ale, and I keep finding the same one, and it keeps saying 28 degrees.

does that mean conditioning at 28 degrees farenheit? Isnt that really cold? like, put it in the freezer cold?

It often works better if you use google as you search engine and also include homebrewtalk in you search. HBT search will having you reading for days.

Does anyone know if the yeast in the bottle conditioned abbey ale is the same or if it is a different strain? anyone culture it?

Does anyone know if the yeast in the bottle conditioned abbey ale is the same or if it is a different strain? anyone culture it?

I've read Ommegang uses only a single strain for all their beers. I've also read otherwise but experience says they are very similar. I've cultured it without problems. Makes a tastey beer, imo.

Also, that article is from BYO and has a huge error! Should be Briess Extra Special Roast (Briess Special B) not Special Roast...

Also, that article is from BYO and has a huge error! Should be Briess Extra Special Roast (Briess Special B) not Special Roast...

hey, that could make a big difference. Extra Special Roast seems right to me, I think i'll make that change in the recipe i'm working up.

I am wondering though, what is your source for that info?

I'm about to try the extract version of this recipe. I have a couple questions.

First, I'm curious as to how you generally achieve such a high fermentation temperature. My method is to brew in my closet with a small space heater to keep it extra warm. I'm rather new at this so I'm wondering if there is an easier way.

Next, I'm under the impression that abbey ales are usually bottle conditioned (no secondary at all). If the bottles are conditioned at such a cold temperature, how is the yeast able to generate CO2 to carbonate? Do you have to force carbonate in a keg? Or does this recipe want you to condition in a secondary at 28 degrees and then bottle at a warmer temperature?

Just as someone who works PT for Ommegang...as per the tasting sheets I had to memorize, the spices used in the Abbey Ale are sweet orange peel, coriander, cumin, and star anise...hops are columbus and styrian golding...I know this is a thread for an extract recipe but the malts used are pilsner malt, munich malt, and Belgian amber and aroma malt. Hope this helps you guys out!

PS. The name of the yeast strain used is Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

Just as someone who works PT for Ommegang...as per the tasting sheets I had to memorize, the spices used in the Abbey Ale are sweet orange peel, coriander, cumin, and star anise...hops are columbus and styrian golding...I know this is extract but the malts used are pilsner malt, munich malt, and Belgian amber and aroma malt. Hope this helps you guys out!

PS. The name of the yeast strain used is Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

Damn, this is great info. I might have to give it a try sometime soon.

Wouldn't that (2.2lb) be an awful lot of Special B?? Everything I've seen says don't use more than 0.5lb per 5 gallons because it is so strong!

Post any other of their ingredients lists you remember, their Witte especially!

Ask and you shall receive!

Three Philosopher's: No spices but infused with a kriek; Columbus and Sterling hops; Pilsner malt, amber malt, caramel malt; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

Hennepin: spiced with coriander, sweet orange peel, ginger, and grains of paradise; Columbus and Czech Saaz hops; Pils malt, pale malt, and corn; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

Rare Vos: coriander, sweet orange peel, grains of paradise; Columbus hops; Pilsner malt, wheat, aroma and caramel; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

Witte: coriander and sweet orange peel; Columbus and Czech Saaz hops; Pils malt, malted and unmalted white wheat, oat flakes; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

I just listened to an interview with the assistant brewer at Ommegang and he said the spices in Ommegang Abbey Ale are: star anise, coriander, cumin, licorice, and sweet orange peel.

I just made this beer this weekend and for spices I used:
0.25oz licorice root
0.25oz dried sweet orange peel
~0.15oz crushed coriander seed
0.1oz star anise (one large star)
<0.1oz powdered cumin

I used very little cumin because it has such a strong scent and honestly I was a little scared of it being too intense.

I added the spices together in a separate bag for the last 15 min of the boil.

I used 5% Styrian Goldings for the hops (both bittering (1.25oz) and aroma (0.33oz)).

I used a variation on the partial mash recipe. I thought it was strange that there was no special B either so I reduced the special roast a little bit and added 4oz special B (7.125lbs of grains total and 2.5lb of extract). My calculated initial gravity was 1.076-1.081, my measured gravity was 1.071. I used Wyeast 1214 and I'm fermenting a little warmer that normal. I plan on resting it in a secondary for 3 weeks at about 30-40 degrees and then added more yeast and slightly more sugar than normal (~1.0-1.2 cups) and bottling in champagne bottles and bottle conditioning at room temperature.

A book I have called "Brew Like a Monk" mentions that the Ommegang ale (assume they mean the abbey ale as it is their signature beer) uses 5 spices and pilsner, amber, and aromatic for the malts, so I think PirateBrewer is likely mostly correct (although maybe he was missing the licorice?).

A book I have called "Brew Like a Monk" mentions that the Ommegang ale (assume they mean the abbey ale as it is their signature beer) uses 5 spices and pilsner, amber, and aromatic for the malts, so I think PirateBrewer is likely mostly correct (although maybe he was missing the licorice?).

You are correct. I did leave off licorice accidentally because I believe the tasting sheet I have lists star anise and licorice together since they are similar in flavor.

Ask and you shall receive!

Three Philosopher's: No spices but infused with a kriek; Columbus and Sterling hops; Pilsner malt, amber malt, caramel malt; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

Hennepin: spiced with coriander, sweet orange peel, ginger, and grains of paradise; Columbus and Czech Saaz hops; Pils malt, pale malt, and corn; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

Rare Vos: coriander, sweet orange peel, grains of paradise; Columbus hops; Pilsner malt, wheat, aroma and caramel; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

Witte: coriander and sweet orange peel; Columbus and Czech Saaz hops; Pils malt, malted and unmalted white wheat, oat flakes; Saccharomyces Cerevisiae yeast

Awesome. I'm gonna have to try a Witte clone once it starts warming up.

Reviving an old thread...

Has anyone made this and how did it turn out? I'm looking for a good Belgian extract recipe and really like the Ommegang Abby ale so I'd like to try this or something like it.

I looked at the 82 degrees thing and if I recall correctly, Ommegang does let the temp ramp up a bit when fermenting. I don't believe 28 deg F is accurate. I'd go with the 28C (82F) or as high as the wee beasties want to go. This goes double if you are culturing out of a bottle of Ommegang.

Just as someone who works PT for Ommegang...as per the tasting sheets I had to memorize, the spices used in the Abbey Ale are sweet orange peel, coriander, cumin, and star anise...hops are columbus and styrian golding...I know this is a thread for an extract recipe but the malts used are pilsner malt, munich malt, and Belgian amber and aroma malt. Hope this helps you guys out!

Hey all! I'm new here and was wondering.... Has anyone had a chance to try an Abbey clone using PirateBrewer's grain list? If so, what ratios did you use, how did it turn out and what would you do differently in your next batch? I'm new to brewing beer (and all-grain) but would really love to try this recipe.

Back