Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsak

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm in the process of preparing the hop-growing area of my garden for my Thyme Garden rhizomes. If anyone would like to berate me for a poor gardening technique, I would value that input.

My soil mixture is a 3:2 blend of Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix and Greensmix Sphagnum Peat Moss. I plan to place each rhizome atop a filled-in hole that is 12" deep and 16" in diameter, and cover the rhizome with a mound of the same mixture. In the hole and for the mound, the soil mixture will be loose and not compacted.

I'm planting three rhizomes this way, one per mound, at a 6' separation between mounds. A soaker hose will run the length of this area and the water that would drip between mounds will be redirected to the closest mound via individual, slightly-inclined PVC pipes.

The length of this entire setup will be completely covered in black, rubber landscaping mulch at the same height as the soil mounds; this will give the area an even, raised look.

What's your opinion of my plan?

I think that your plan may be a bit of overkill. Soil improvement is a good idea but I would stay away from anything that miracle-grow puts out. If you want to increase moisture retention shred some newspaper. Once your root system starts growing they are going to far outgrow a 12"X16" hole.

-Ander

Back