Summit Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
Cheers,

While playing around with an IPA recipe, I stumbled upon Summit Hops.

Brewers Supply Group :: Hops :: Summit Hop Analysis

Anyone have any experience with these? They're described as citrus/grapefruity, which will go well with the cascades I plan on using. Recipe as follows:

8lbs DME
1lb 20L Caramel Grain
1oz Summit (18.5%) 60
1oz Summit (18.5%) 20
1oz Cascade (5.5%) Flameout
1oz Cascade (5.5%) Dry.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

cheers,
-bottleopener

They are citrusy, but more like a tangerine, not a grapefruit. I use them for the bittering charge in my apas and ipas. They are good for flavor and aroma too. I don't really like them alone, but they blend well with centennial and cascade!

+1 on tangerine. Very high alpha(15-19%) making them an economical hop. Only one grower/supplier at this time due to patent rights. Sometimes hard to come by late in the season. Makes a great IPA when combined with Cascade and Amarillo. One of my favorites.

Pounds! How about a price per pound so i can decide if i want to pull the trigger before you post the source.

Haven't used them myself, but at the last OBC meeting Rob Widmer had two cases of a seasonal that used Summit for flavor. Very nice, citrus, but not at all like Cascade.

These hops are available at What Ales You. Chuck doesn't have a website set up yet so you would have to call him to order. He has a large selection of both pellet and leaf hops. He prefers to sell by the oz at $3.99 but I'm sure he would give any who called a decent deal on lbs.(he asked that I not divulge my lb price)
His Phone # is 623-486-8016. Hours of operation Tu-Fr 12-7, Sat 9-6, Sun 12-5. If you call him tell him beerthirty sent you and that he needs a website.

If you know of where you can get these at a reasonable price, please share!

I buy them at my LHBS for 2.99/oz.

I just brewed an IPA with Summit, Simcoe, and Centennial hops and I'm really diggin it. Lots of tangerine, orange zest and pine. After a couple minor tweaks this recipe will be worthy of the database.

OUCH!!! $7 an ounce. It only taste like gold. I will share my source tomorrow after I get a lb today. I've seen the run on product that can happen here. :D

Its not $7.00/ounce, you get all of the hops listed for $42.00, 6oz each summit glacier palisade and ahtanum

Back