Harvesting yeast/bugs from Cantillon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
I'm in the mood to try a sour beer tonight, and I've got some idea's about doing a sour one in the future. Has anyone harvested yeast from a Cantillon bottle before? I assume they're bottle conditioned with the bugs, but I'm not sure. I also heard that a good 1.070 2 row base beer is a good place to start for a lambic. I'm going to do a couple of gallon mini batches to see how they turn out, but the yeast is the first step. Anyone done this?

What I would do is just ferment the beer with a normal sacch yeast and then add the dregs directly to the beer. With brett, I don't know that making a starter will necessarily benefit you. You will be in for a long wait, but it'll be worth it.

Saw an article on this in BYO yesterday...I wanna say it was from 99, but that's all I can remember and I can't find it now. Either way, just follow the same things you do when you harvest yeast, but if you ever use lysozyme, don't use it with this.

does anyone know of any places in san mateo or local area to buy beer making kits?

Latest posts

Back