Odor in brewing process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
Hello, so I just bought a new brew kit and gonna start to to make the first batch real soon. Just had a question though. So there really isn't a large amount of space in my house to put all this equipment so I was thinking about storing it in my room. How strong is the odor when your actually brewing the beer? Is it too strong to have in living quarters or is it not that bad?

Usually the fermenting beer doesn't smell much at all. Sometimes it will (I'm thinking that my apfelwein was a bit stinky) but you can open your window from time to time if it bothers you. It probably won't .

The brewing process itself (boiling wort and hops) is much more smelly, and you might want to air out the kitchen during the process to avoid annoying your roomates.

I am brewing an IPA right now. On days 3-4 after I pitched the yeast the whole floor of house that had the fermenter on it had the nicest aroma I've ever experienced. None of my previous beer had any noticable aroma. I am not sure what the deal was with it but I am looking forward trying it out after I bottle it and condition it.

brewing smells nice, the grains smell like breakfast cereal. fermenting beer usually smells like beer / hops which is nice at least I think so. but some yeasts and under certain conditions produce hydrogen sulfide which smells like rotten eggs and thats bad. but 90% of the time it wont make any unpleasant odors

It really depends on if you're a batchelor or not

Am a bacholar so it doesn't matter that incredibly much but I don't want to smell horrible in the room, at least not to distract the ladies.

It really depends on if you're a batchelor or not...some yeasts produce a lot of sulphur odor...;):D

Haha +10. To tell you the truth, my brews smelled only if i was really close to it(with the exception of the rhino-farting apfelwein). I also hear that Kolsch yeast produce a lot of sulfury smells

Latest posts

Back