Hefe-weizen is great but......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Hey guys I brewed a hefe off of a Paulener clone with wyeast 3068 and it turned out pretty good. Hefe's are not my favorite beer but these were pretty good but the yeast taste was a bit stronger than the commercial version.

Questions:

My bottles seemed to have more sediment than your usual HB's and they cleared out completely like a crystal weisse. When you try to swirl up the yeast, it's clumpy and frankly too much. Do you think I should have secondary fermented/cleared this beer? The yeast in the commercial beer seems less flocculant, is this a different strain added after fermentation?

For kegging, how do you keep the yeast in suspension? It seems to me that it would settle out just like my bottles did. Maybe you'd get a few pints that were yeasty and then Krystal weisse from then on. How have you guys done this?

Thanks,
Al

This is one reason why I secondary my weizens...more yeast drops out and I re-introduce "some" of the yeast back in during the racking into the bucket or the keg. Less yeast makes it to the bottle that is just enough to not make the beer bitter in the glass.

For kegs you could tip the keg upside down for a few minutes to get the yeast off the bottom of use a less flocculating yeast.

Back