Bells Two Hearted IPA Recipe - comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danek

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a clone of Bells Two Hearted IPA this weekend, and found the following 5-gallon recipe on t'interweb. Does it look OK to you folks?

Ingredients:
10 lbs Maris Otter Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (20L)

Hop Schedule:
1 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)

Yeast: Safale US-05

Purely for experimental purposes, I was going to split the batch into two and ferment one half with Safale US-05 and the other with Safale S-04. This would give 2.5 gallons of American-yeast IPA and 2.5 gallons of English-yeast IPA. Obviously the English yeast would make it different to the original beer, but I've never done a side-by-side yeast comparison before, and as a learning experience I think it'd be a good thing to try.
Any comments gratefully received :mug:

Danek said:
I'm going to brew a clone of Bells Two Hearted IPA this weekend, and found the following 5-gallon recipe on t'interweb. Does it look OK to you folks?

Ingredients:
10 lbs Maris Otter Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (20L)

Hop Schedule:
1 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)

Yeast: Safale US-05

Purely for experimental purposes, I was going to split the batch into two and ferment one half with Safale US-05 and the other with Safale S-04. This would give 2.5 gallons of American-yeast IPA and 2.5 gallons of English-yeast IPA. Obviously the English yeast would make it different to the original beer, but I've never done a side-by-side yeast comparison before, and as a learning experience I think it'd be a good thing to try.
Any comments gratefully received :mug:

Looks good, The hop schedule I have for it is

1 oz Cent 60
.5 Cent 15
.5 Cent 10
.5 Cent 5
.5 Cent 0
1 oz Cent dry hop

I would bump that first Centennial addition up to 30 min and reduce its weight to 1/2 an ounce. Or you could change it to an ounce of Willamette at 45 min (my preference).

i got the recipe from the guy at bells' general store. here is the hop schedule in 5 gal form:

1.5 oz centennial 60 min
0.5 oz centennial 30 min
0.75 oz cascade 10 min
0.25 oz cascade at flameout

dry hop .75 oz centennial and 1.00 oz cascade for 9 days.

i've made it a few times and its spot on. make sure to use WLP051 (California V Ale).

its the best beer i've ever brewed!

I thought bells might have some cascade in it. When I asked at a brewers fest I was told by the bells rep it was all centennial, but when I brewed it and did a side by side the bells had a very slight grapefruit/citrus which I could have sworn was cascade. Very light and tasty.
-J

Sounds like a great recipe.

I like an English ALe yeast for IPA's. Maintains more of a malty profile and I like malty IPA's.

You might consider doing a First Wort Hop with that 60 minute addition.

I don't think I'd extend the time on the flavor/aroma additions.

For me, APA's and IPA's need some early bittering hops and then everything else gets no more than 15 minutes and then a healthy dose of dry hopping.

miatawnt2b said:
I thought bells might have some cascade in it. When I asked at a brewers fest I was told by the bells rep it was all centennial, but when I brewed it and did a side by side the bells had a very slight grapefruit/citrus which I could have sworn was cascade. Very light and tasty.
-J
Yeah, I've heard contrasting opinions about whether to make it all centennial or to add in cascade as well. I think I have some leftover cascades in the freezer at home, and if so I'll add them as a late-hop. I think everything tastes better with cascades - they're like the bacon of the brewing world.

BierMuncher said:
You might consider doing a First Wort Hop with that 60 minute addition.
Interesting suggestion - I think I'll give that a go. And I plan to dry-hop the bejesus out of it.

I love the Bells and we drink it all the time here in Michigan, but for me I cant seeing using 4oz of Centennial right now with the hop shortage. My IPA's are going to be mild pales ale for awhile, Damn those hops...lol

Brew-boy said:
I love the Bells and we drink it all the time here in Michigan, but for me I cant seeing using 4oz of Centennial right now with the hop shortage. My IPA's are going to be mild pales ale for awhile, Damn those hops...lol

Yeah, that's my problem. I've been dieing to do a Two Hearted Recipe but know that the hops are going to be painful on my pocketbook. I mean, it's to the point where it would almost be cheaper to just buy a bunch of six packs of Two hearted and save my time. When you talk about $3.00+ an ounce and you need 5ish+ ounces plus grain and yeast the price gets pretty hefty. =(

Slightly :off: , but I just ordered a pound of Summit hops.

Their supposed to be souped up American hop that can be substituted for Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo in smaller quantities.

Anyone used Summit?

I've heard they are phenomenal for dry hopping.

BierMuncher said:

Their supposed to be souped up American hop that can be substituted for Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo in smaller quantities.

Anyone used Summit?

I have never used them but I believe that Cent. are super Cascades so Summit must be pretty potent.

Thanks for the comments guys. I brewed this one yesterday and it's sitting in the fermenters now. The fermenter with US05 yeast is going like crazy, and the one with Saf 04 is taking its time a little, so it'll be interesting to see how they both finish up. I'm also curious to know what kind of difference the first wort hopping makes. I'll let you know.

Danek said:
Thanks for the comments guys. I brewed this one yesterday and it's sitting in the fermenters now. The fermenter with US05 yeast is going like crazy, and the one with Saf 04 is taking its time a little, so it'll be interesting to see how they both finish up. I'm also curious to know what kind of difference the first wort hopping makes. I'll let you know.

at 60 minutes boiling time, the hops have a chance to convert the effect that they have on your wort to a bittering effect. anywhere from a 45 minute to 60 minute usually gives the hops enough time to throw solid alpha acid content at your beer. any less than that and you're playing with aroma qualities and flavor qualities.

BierMuncher said:

Anyone used Summit?

This is interesting and might be an option for us Two Hearted lovers to look into given the recent hop shortage. Summit seems like a decently available hop and the fact that it has a high AA would be great for the hop shortage. I think I might do an experiment with my new brew using the Two Hearted grain bill and altering things with summit hops instead of centennial. Who knows what it will be like, but it's looking like my only option for now since they delicious centennial hops are so rare. =(

My only question is if summit can be used as flavor additions or if it should just be skipped and do a bittering / aroma like Bier suggested. Can anyone comment that has used summit as flavoring before?

Hi guys. (First post, by the way. :mug:)

I'm getting ready to do a batch of Two-Hearted clone, and am undecided on which yeast to use... I have White Labs Cal Ale WLP001 and Wyeast Irish Ale 1084. Any suggestions on which would be preferable?

I'm using the NB extract kit, btw:
1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40
9.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
1 oz. Centennial (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min)
2 oz. Centennial (5 min)
1 oz. Centennial (dry hop)

I'm getting ready to do a batch of Two-Hearted clone, and am undecided on which yeast to use... I have White Labs Cal Ale WLP001 and Wyeast Irish Ale 1084. Any suggestions on which would be preferable?

1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40
2 oz. Centennial (5 min)

Definitely use the WLP001 in this

I used this same malt bill for my IPA and it came out great, I only wished I used 2 pounds of munich rather than vienna or a different yeast than wlp001 for a maltier IPA. My next one will be munich and maybe english ale yeast!!! My hops were chinook, amarillo and cascade.

1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40
2 oz. Centennial (5 min)

Ditto on the WLP001

Thanks, guys. WLP001 it is. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

[Edit: moved reply to new topic... was kind of a hijack, sorry :)]

Im getting ready to do this clone and i was wondering about my hops. Currently i have a pound of amarillo pellets, a baggy with .5oz of dried cascades in the freezer, and another baggy of dried cascade and nugget mixed (1.5oz). My buddy gave them to me like that, don't ask. Anyway, I was curious if I should sub the amarillo for the bittering and flavoring, and then use the dried cascade and nugget for the dry hopping.

The arrogant prick Larry Bell has said that Two Hearted is all about the centennial hops and his yeast. If you want to get close to cloning this phenomenal brew you'll need to obtain both and then tinker with the grain bill.

Im getting ready to do this clone and i was wondering about my hops. Currently i have a pound of amarillo pellets, a baggy with .5oz of dried cascades in the freezer, and another baggy of dried cascade and nugget mixed (1.5oz). My buddy gave them to me like that, don't ask. Anyway, I was curious if I should sub the amarillo for the bittering and flavoring, and then use the dried cascade and nugget for the dry hopping.

Nugget is too harsh to try and use as a substitute. Better as a bittering hop.

I'd stick with alternating Cascade and Amarillo at differing times...starting with Amarillo and then use .5oz each for the dry hop.

I did a similar clone recipe using all centennial hops. I've also had great success harvesting yeast from Bell's bottles. I added 1.25 oz of 8.5% Centennial at 60, 15, 5, 1, and dry hop. It's a little off of the original, but it's the best brew I've ever made.

I am heading to my Brew supply store next week, and thought I would put in an order for a two hearted ale clone. Could you post the rest of the recipe?

Lanny,

i got the recipe from the guy at bells' general store. here is the hop schedule in 5 gal form:

1.5 oz centennial 60 min
0.5 oz centennial 30 min
0.75 oz cascade 10 min
0.25 oz cascade at flameout

dry hop .75 oz centennial and 1.00 oz cascade for 9 days.

i've made it a few times and its spot on. make sure to use WLP051 (California V Ale).

its the best beer i've ever brewed!

The arrogant prick Larry Bell has said that Two Hearted is all about the centennial hops and his yeast. If you want to get close to cloning this phenomenal brew you'll need to obtain both and then tinker with the grain bill.

I agree. TH is definitely all Centennial. wlp001 will make a good beer, but it's not the Bell's strain. Neither is 051, but it's closer in my opinion.

You can always buy a sixer of a lower gravity Bell's ale, such as the pale or brown, and culture the yeast from that. All the standard ales (non-Belgian) use the house strain according to the brewery.

The latest issue of Zymurgy (July/August 2011) has the recipe and an article penned by Bell's production manager. He basically says it's a simple all-Centennial recipe and a lot of the character has to do with the dry-hopping, of which he doesn't go into much detail. :confused:

Good luck!

Back