Welding With Strut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Hello Brewlanders-

Been less active for a while, expanding my skillset and pursuing other hobbies. Here's a little project I did the other day....a single burner stand made from UniStrut.

A couple things:

1. This stuff is cheaper than new mild steel. Steel is approx $5 a foot for 2x2 square tube, with a 1/8" thickness. Lowes sells 8 feet of UniStrut for like $25. The channel itself is affordable...the fasteners are where they get ya.

2. Welding galvanized or zinc plated metal creates dangerous fumes. I had to prep the edges anyway, so I took a flap disc to the ends. Fumes weren't too bad at all...but I did have a few porous welds because of the coating. Plus, I'm still learning how to weld, and also learning my machine (a burly industrial unit, not a set-and-forget home model).

3. The project came out quite nice! Fit-up was key. I have enough room to add on if I want to, maybe it could be similar to a MoreBeer 1550 with the offset BK. For now, I have so many BIG tools in my garage, I kind of like the simplicity of being able to fit my brew stuff under a table.

Here she is: http://s165.photobucket.com/user/hawkie333/slideshow/HOMEBREWING/BURNER STAND

Nice build - I'm sure it will hold anything you put on top of it. I use strut on welded projects all of the time and I like its versatility. My local Menards has it in painted and plated versions for around $20 for a 10' stick. I try to find used steel at my local scrapyard (including strut), but sometimes I wonder about the money savings vs time spent cleaning it......

Cheers!

That looks good, the welds look good. Mild tubing is used in everything, cars, buildings, anything construction. If you're going to keep building, try looking for a tubing supply place. I used Roco steel and tubing. I used 16 gauge/.063 less than a buck a foot. I think you'll find mild steel much easier to work with and you get 4-8 welds per connection. The tubing supply place will usually be happy to make the cuts for you. I handed them JonW build cut list and came back in 4 hrs, it was all cut perfect. They charged me $108 with tax. All I had to do was weld it together.
Welding will always be cool!
And I scuba dive every chance I get, scubaSteve

Back