First Batch of Wine - Did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAM

Reaction score
Several weeks back I bought a Vino Vida wine kit (Piesporter), because my wife. wanted to give it a try. On January 1 we performed the first step--warm water, bentonite, juice concentrate and cool water added to the primary, along with vigorous stirring. The second step, to be performed approximately 14 days later involves movement to the secondary, along with addition of Sulphite, Potassium Sorbate, Kieslesol and Chitosan, followed by degassing (apologies to the experienced wine makers out there, but I just want to list the steps provided with the kit).

As luck would have it, we got distracted by other things, and forgot the fermenter sitting in a dark corner, and we are now well past the 14 days outlined in the kit before step 2.

My question is, will the extra 13 or so days make a difference in the quality of the wine, such that I need to dump it and try again, or am I OK to proceed ahead?

Thanks.

It may yeild a slightly better product and have less gas to beat out of it. Most kits are rather rushed anyway.

Not a problem at all. But rack it to,secondary sooner rather than later. I wouldn't leave a wine in the primary fermenter for more than six weeks.

Thanks to you both. I had hoped all was well, but with a first batch of anything Murphy's Law seems more likely to apply. I should be racking to the secondary later this week.

Back