A question about perfect machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this really the correct answer? This is very important. So thank you.

Okay, yeah, now I am talking to myself and even quoting myself. But back to serious matters, is this the correct answer?

But damn, now I forgot the question....

This machine you are referring to doesn't happen to be your noggin does it? :drunk:

The machine exists, I did not build it though, I was only questioning it's so called "perfection", or how it could ever have been called perfect, you know, before it busted.

If so, then it was never 'perfect' to begin with. First use started the leak. :eek:

If someone were to build a better one, they would need to include better instructions, to avoid operator failure? Is that what you are trying to say? Or you take something perfect, put it into an imperfect scenario, you are only asking for trouble?

"Perfect" has many meanings.

The meaning that causes most of the logical problems, where nothing can ever go wrong, is simply not a meaningful concept. Achieving this isn't a matter of making a single perfect widget, it requires something like controlling the universe. The apparently trivial problem with wear and tear in the sense we're used to is just an example of an interaction between the machine and its environment. Eventually that environment will be destroyed in a supernova or swallowed by a black hole, and that's the end of it. It's pretty extreme wear and tear, but that's essentially what it is.

A more useful concept of "perfect" is something like "as good as possible given the limits of what can be realized." It's perhaps not as satisfying, but it doesn't create the paradoxes that the more general sense creates. The reason is that the more general sense is simply not consistent with reality. If you insist on using that meaning, then I'd simply say there is no answer to your question because it's pure fantasy.

If someone were to build a better one, they would need to include better instructions, to avoid operator failure? Is that what you are trying to say? Or you take something perfect, put it into an imperfect scenario, you are only asking for trouble?

Even if they make the instructions 100% idiot proof, that's only good for the current generation of idiot. The next generation will manage to un-proof the instructions. :eek: You would need to make it beyond stupid simple. Like one button for 'GO' and have it run completely automated otherwise. Don't give the user the opportunity to stop it. Hard wire it for power and plumb it with something that will survive a nuclear blast. :eek: Even that has a chance of being broken by a future generation 'idiot'. :D

Unless you completely, and totally, remove the human element from the equation, you'll always have issues. Just the nature of the beast.

The perfect machine does not exist. Perfection is what you strive for but we will never obtain. Take comfort though we can get very good at making that machine but there is always room for improvement:)

I think no one would actually want a truly 'perfect' machine. It's just not in our nature to accept something that's really perfect. We always want to tweak, alter, change, upgrade it. If it's really perfect then that won't be possible, so it will be imperfect for us. Sort of like the first Matrix that was made (in the movie how it was described and how humans couldn't handle it).

So, while you might believe you've conceived of a perfect item/device/machine/etc. reality (as already mentioned) makes creating such item impossible (with our current technology level). That's not to say that it won't be possible at some far distant future time. But, none of us will be around to see it. So, in that case we're "perfectly F'd over"... :D

So the creator of the machine should just admit, "Hey, I did my best with what I had to work with, what more do you want, perfection?"

So the creator of the machine should just admit, "Hey, I did my best with what I had to work with, what more do you want, perfection?"

Something like that... If they claim it's 'perfect' I would be highly suspect. There's probably fine print with a disclaimer about limits of current technology, yadda, yadda, yadda... :D

You can't even get a machine to fabricate a 'perfect' sphere. There's always a variation of some degree. Even if it's so tiny that WE cannot tell, it's simply not possible to have it truly 'perfect'.

"Perfect" has many meanings.

The meaning that causes most of the logical problems, where nothing can ever go wrong, is simply not a meaningful concept. Achieving this isn't a matter of making a single perfect widget, it requires something like controlling the universe. The apparently trivial problem with wear and tear in the sense we're used to is just an example of an interaction between the machine and its environment. Eventually that environment will be destroyed in a supernova or swallowed by a black hole, and that's the end of it. It's pretty extreme wear and tear, but that's essentially what it is.

A more useful concept of "perfect" is something like "as good as possible given the limits of what can be realized." It's perhaps not as satisfying, but it doesn't create the paradoxes that the more general sense creates. The reason is that the more general sense is simply not consistent with reality. If you insist on using that meaning, then I'd simply say there is no answer to your question because it's pure fantasy.

I think this is actually it, I misinterpreted something along the way... I tried to understand the alternatives, but somehow it went over my head.

It's not as defeatist as that. You can make quantitative estimates of what is possible and use those as a reference. The laws of thermodynamics can provide limits on certain parameters. For others, you have to make estimates, but you don't just have to throw your hands up. So it doesn't have to be a question of what you have at hand, so much as what the laws of physics permit.

For being useful, though, that's not so bad. From an engineering perspective, "perfect" could be understood to essentially mean "without design flaws." That doesn't mean that it will never fail, but that its failures are caused by unavoidable conditions.

But you're right, it's unsatisfying---I said as much in my earlier post. As you're getting at, it means that "perfect" is context-dependent and something that is thought thought to be "perfect" may later be found not to be so when new methods are found or our understanding of physical laws changes.

I don't think that's so different from how "perfect" is used in practice.

That doesn't mean that it will never fail, but that its failures are caused by unavoidable conditions.

But if you knew those unavoidable conditions were there, why would you use the term perfect? Because you don't understand the meaning of the word? Or you just thought it meant "that other thing", not what it really meant?

IMO, concepts, and even ideas and designs can be perfect (or as close as we can perceive perfection to be). But when you try to bring those into the physical world, you're hampered by things like (as mentioned) the laws of physics.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure that [at some point] our technology level will advance to the degree where it's viable to produce something that actually IS perfect. Not saying that will happen in the next thousand years (or even ten thousand) but it could happen. Provided we don't make the perfect idiot move and destroy ourselves. :eek:

Hey BobbiLynn
Late to this thread coming in
You probably know here on HBT
There are brilliant minds, I'm sure that you see
Your question asked in an intellectual state
Has been answered by great minds that is no mistake
I just have a question to your question
Why are you asking for suggestions
You know the answer as well as do I
The human body is perfect but someday will die
There is no other way around it and that's not a lie

I am just going to have to sleep on it some more, then re-evaluate, you all got me a little confused now....

Sorry, Dan, didn't hear you come in the door, oh, okay!!! Now I can rest in peace....

BobbiLynn, BobbiLynn why do your threads make me grin
I know you are serious in what you do say
You're a refreshingly wonderful person in many ways

What is missing from this discussion is the mention of intent. What is this theoretical machine intended to do? If this task is accomplished within specification and without failure, the machine can be said to be perfect.

Let's say I have 3 trees that I need to cut down and turn into firewood. I call up a tree guy and he wants $500 to do the job. Unfortunately, I can only afford $250. So, I go to home depot to buy a chainsaw and on the way home I buy a six pack. That afternoon, I hew the trees and consume the beer.

By nightfall I have a stack of firewood. The job is done. As the chainsaw accomplished the job within the specification, it can be considered a perfect machine.

Who cares if my neighbor borrows it the following weekend and breaks it? It did the job I needed done and saved me $250. It was a perfect machine.

What is missing from this discussion is the mention of intent. What is this theoretical machine intended to do? If this task is accomplished within specification and without failure, the machine can be said to be perfect.

Let's say I have 3 trees that I need to cut down and turn into firewood. I call up a tree guy and he wants $500 to do the job. Unfortunately, I can only afford $250. So, I go to home depot to buy a chainsaw and on the way home I buy a six pack. That afternoon, I hew the trees and consume the beer.

By nightfall I have a stack of firewood. The job is done. As the chainsaw accomplished the job within the specification, it can be considered a perfect machine.

Who cares if my neighbor borrows it the following weekend and breaks it? It did the job I needed done and saved me $250. It was a perfect machine.

So are you saying it was supposed to leak? Half the water drains out and instructions say "just add more"? Therefore, the machine was perfect? Because it did it's job in the end?

All matter contains energy; energy is essentially the basis of the universe where all is interconnected. Since the machine was built with the universe's energy, could it be that the machine had more of a purpose than what you intended?

Maybe the machine's actual purpose was to break and have you repair it, and therefore it truly is a perfect machine, just not perfect to your narrowed expectations.

Kosch

All matter contains energy; energy is essentially the basis of the universe where all is interconnected. Since the machine was built with the universe's energy, could it be that the machine had more of a purpose than what you intended?

Maybe the machine's actual purpose was to break and have you repair it, and therefore it truly is a perfect machine, just not perfect to your narrowed expectations.

Kosch

Now that's just pure, weapons grade, balonium... :D

Kosch

Okay, so I just add more water, per the instructions, right?

Perhaps the machine itself is perfect, but the material or part in question with said leak is inperfect. Ergo....just fix it. Or hang out in the shed until your hubby heals up and let him fix it :) BTW, what kind of machine are we talkin about here?

BTW, what kind of machine are we talkin about here?

Wouldn't we all like to know... I will take your advice though, just let hubby fix it when he gets feeling better... **** that broke piece of crap.

To Dan: Don't bother trying to explain things to them, would only add to the confusion.... Thanks for the dose of reality.

So are you saying it was supposed to leak? Half the water drains out and instructions say "just add more"? Therefore, the machine was perfect? Because it did it's job in the end?

My chainsaw neither leaked, stalled nor snapped it's chain. It's job was to make firewood of three trees. It did this job flawlessly. It was perfect.

To Dan: Don't bother trying to explain things to them, would only add to the confusion.... Thanks for the dose of reality.

Hey BobbiLynn
Don't make me chagrined
MY humble words lead to post in the end
I'm not quite sure just what you're running from
No, that's not true and if you were a boy I'd call you son

Hey BobbiLynn
Don't make me chagrined
MY humble words lead to post in the end
I'm not quite sure just what you're running from
No, that's not true and if you were a boy I'd call you son

I didn't mean it like that, my apologies! And not sure why you are talking in prose.... even if I were a boy, you are not of age to be my father! All my love....

Back