First time Hard cider attempt, 2 batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pghhopgrower

Reaction score
I have two 5 gal. carboys fermenting for about a week now. One is just an unpasteurized cider with corn sugar, and the second is cider, and a blend of brown sugar, honey, and cinnamon. They fermented like crazy at first then calmed down. Now I have sugar and yeast sediment forming at the bottom and the cider has found it way up into the airlock (which I have dumped and cleaned twice already) should I mix the sediment forming at the bottom or just let it go? and after my two weeks of fermentation should i transfer to another carboy for a second stage of fermentation or just leave it then these ones, until I see that they are fit for everyone to enjoy?

give them time to finish. i suggest either leave them be until they are fit for enjoyment, or let them finish fermenting (until the gravity is constant, at or below 1.000) and settle out, then rack off the sediment to a clean secondary to age them for a few months, of course avoiding oxidation and any significant headspace in the new jug.

Back