Pets that Rule your house!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_travels

Reaction score
Ok ..Tonight I am great ...nothing going on... my dog is here and the G. F. is working! The dog has been out side all day!! I find my self getting him a blanket and making sure he is ok.........(about and hour) I decide he should be moved a little "from the dog pillow to the couch " my dog growls at me....thats it enought is enought ... gots to show how is dominate...so I growl back and make him know who is boss.... i just tapped..(kinda hard, but not to hurt him on the nose, everytime he growled at me and displayed my dominance! This Drives me nuts SBHMBO lets hims walk all over us! ..........Must Take...The ...Power..!!!

anyone els have the prob. of there pet takeing control?

my ex had a super dominant dog. my dog is the most amazing pupp ever, yet hers was obnoxious. after two months of dating her that dog no longer had a dominance problem. she thought she was a good hard handed trainer, but didn't compare to anything i threw at that dog.

The dog needs to know who is boss. He growled at me once. Note the use of the word once. He never did it again. he growled at my daughter, he has not done that again either. I am not for animal cruelty but they do need to taught where they are in the family tree. i.e. at the bottom.

sigh.....
do i admit i have 3 cats, 2 of whom try to control me?
or do i attempt to lie and say i am in command?
did i type that out loud?

rod said:
sigh.....
do i admit i have 3 cats, 2 of whom try to control me?
or do i attempt to lie and say i am in command?
did i type that out loud?

I used to like cats. Now I don't. They don't do anything for you. Selfish little sh1ts. My wife wants a cat. This is not going to happen. Each to their own!

I regularly Kick my dogs a** just show him who is boss:D Just kidding but i do show him that if he gets lippy that I can take him down. He is a 85lb Boxer so I have to keep him in check with a one year old running around the house.

i would prefer a dog but i work too many hours and swmbo has finally gotten some full time work.
it wouldn't be fair to leave a dog alone so long.
cats can take care of themselves(and sometimes seem to prefer it)

thanks so far...I have to say ..>CATS.... not worth there hide...( that is nothing) sorrry...sorry ...anywho... for my dog to growl at me is one thing...if ...I say if I had kids...If my dog growled at them...I hate to say it but I doubt My dog would have a bottem jaw!..I am just saying...with a wildlife degree and a pritty good knowedge of the natural enviro. well. lets just leave it at that!!!

Any ideals!

Yeup. my kid is now 3, and came after the dog. dog tried to show her who was boss. I reminded him where he was in the chain. i.e. dog, me, kid, shmbo.
Dogs are pack animals and will from time to time attempt to increase their status in the pack. Same with humans! ...only smacking your child is increasingly being frowned upon, but that is a whole other subject that is too far away from beer to be discussed here.

the big one 18 lbs

ok lets hear the cat bashing:D

cecil.JPG

lol....no joke .....My mother...yes ...my mother wanted me to shoot..""or get rid of """ what ever you want..........a few kittens...I Couldn't do it"""".......I love taking big game !!!

i figured the picture would be good for a few laughs!
balances out the scratches when the dumba$$ struggled to get away

Here is SWMBO's cat. She has a bit of a weight problem.

kittythehutt.jpg

if my dog was ...truely chasing deer .....then he to should no longer be here....if a cat is eating birds...again........................it to....... welll you know how it is!!! Sorry again!

Of course, all that being said I spoil my dog rotten - he sleeps beside my bed on the floor (on a large pillow). Gets walked and brushed and well fed. Will spend 20min at least each day throwing a tennis ball for him or kicking a football. He is a Broder collie and needs a lot of work.

Dogs are pack animals by nature, they need to know who the alpha is and that it is not them.

Cats are not pack animals, but there is the old saying "my dog thinks he's human, my cat thinks he's God".

I'll have to take a picture of my shelty when she wakes up. Since she sleeps 20 hours a day I don't know when that will be. But she knows she's at the bottom, and is also one of the lovingest dogs I've ever had.

Well here is a different one from the usual cats and dogs, want to bring yours over to play? :D

1%20(Small).jpg

4%20(Small).jpg

And doing what he likes best...eating (normally eats frozen/thawed rats & chickens)
8%20(Small).jpg

Ok, now that is just friggen cool. I didn't even think you could have those as pets? Man, that would do well in my desert backyard. Quick Google tells me different. That a Savannah I assume?

whodwho said:
Well here is a different one from the usual cats and dogs, want to bring yours over to play? :D

Is that a Savannah Monitor? They're quite docile for something so large. I used to have an Iguana that grew to six feet in length, Spot. He was a wicked bastard though. He would whip me with his tail and God forbid he clamped down on you with his jaws. I used to suit up in a military field jacket and wear heavy leather gloves before I would dare handle him.

Actually it is a Salvator Monitor or water monitor, about second in size to a komodo. He is about 7+ feet (tail and all) and about 65+ lbs.

A Savannah actually would fair well in the desert as they are from the Savannah in Africa. We have had two of these and they are very docile as well, our first one you could let out in the yard and he would come back in and back in his cage when he had enough outside and wanted to eat.

He is a beast but "dog" tame, they are very docile if handled regularly, but you have to respect them - I have experienced his teeth by my mistake when he grabbed to much off a plate of food and I tried to take some back as he was going for the gulp down. I could not imagine what damage they could do if they were to attack I barely scraped a finger across his teeth and it was about a 1/4 deep an a couple inches gash...

He was just a pup when we got him:

6%20(Small).jpg

In the summer (erh - 8 months out of the year) I have what's called kangaroo mice all over my backyard. Making holes, pissing me off and worst off, they attract snakes. Some good snakes, but also rattlers. I got about a 1/2 acre of a 6' high blocked off backyard. He/she would love the snacks running around. Guess they're quick when they need to be eh? I know that wouldn't fly with my wife, but I just love vermin of all styles. Cept for my cat which is a puker and only on the carpet :mad:. I'm assuming those don't do well with dogs though either...

desertBrew said:
...I'm assuming those don't do well with dogs though either...
I have not had an issue, we have two boxers that have been nose to nose with him many of times. We keep them separated just to play it safe, boxers can be high strung and one always starts barking and lunging trying to play with him and I would hate to see what would happen if he got tired of him trying to play...

Tammy here doesn't "rule the roost", but she looooooves chicken; she's trying to snag a chicken wing from the smoker.

tammy.jpg

MariaAZ said:
Tammy here doesn't "rule the roost", but she looooooves chicken; she's trying to snag a chicken wing from the smoker.
Our Rex loooooooves chickens too!!!!!!! ;)

Very cool, I assume this one is a pet and not one in-line to the smoker? :D

I've heard that sometimes when trainers are having a hard time establishing dominance over dogs, they will pee on them. Have them in their kennel and first thing in the morning when you urine is very strong, go right to the dog and pee on them. Pretty crazy. I can't imagine doing it myself, but I guess if there is enough of a problem, anything is possible! ;)

Watching that dog whisperer show, he seems to thing a strong grip of their neck reminds them of a dominant dog clamping down on their neck. He says nothing to tight, just enough to show dominance.

I'm not a professional, I do have a lot of experience training dogs. Some of them developed some attitude in their 'adolescent years.' Don't alpha role, bite, pee, or make them feel threatened. If they feel threatened enough, even if they think you are tougher, they will bite.

It is really simple. Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF). You control all the resources. the couch, the food, the ball, entry into a room (you first!), belly rubs, etc. EVERYTHING is on your terms. You would be amaized at how well this works in just a few months.

It is really simple. Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF). You control all the resources. the couch, the food, the ball, entry into a room (you first!), belly rubs, etc. EVERYTHING is on your terms. You would be amaized at how well this works in just a few months.

Totaly agree with you. My dog doesn't get anything with out working for it. He is a boxer, so a working dog by instinct, and is much happier when he has a job to do. Like fetching the ball or tugging the rope or just working on training exercises. Also I can't stress enough the fact that you should always enter the room first (good point to bring up proofman). I couldn't believe the difference it made in our dog when we strictly started folowing that one. It really lets them know their place in the pack. I don't think that since my son was born i have ever seen the dog try and go through the door before him, know the dog lets him climb all over him and doesn't even seem to be bothered by it.

Back