First IPA recipe attempt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
I like my IPAs extremely hoppy, so I may be overdoing it here a bit :p

12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Summit [14.00%] (60 min) 43.1 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] 34.5 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] (15 min) 18.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00%] (15 min) 7.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.00%] (0 min)
0.50 oz Summit [14.00%] (0 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Summit [14.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1 Pkgs S05 (Safale)

-------

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 6.6 SRM
IBUs: 104
OG :1.069
Estimated ABV: 6.5%

I like hoppy IPAs, too. I think that the two bittering additions are too much, though. You want hoppy, but not so bitter it peels the tastebuds off of your tongue.

104 IBUs in a 1.069 OG beer gives you an IBU/SG ratio of 1.511. I like hoppy IPAs, but that's BITTER. Around .985-1.110 would be better, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that four different hop varieties in the dryhop will work well. I'd probably do two of them, or at most three.

I'd put some more hops in the boil, at 10 minutes and 5 minutes, if I wanted a big hoppy flavor and aroma.

I like hoppy IPAs, too. I think that the two bittering additions are too much, though. You want hoppy, but not so bitter it peels the tastebuds off of your tongue.

104 IBUs in a 1.069 OG beer gives you an IBU/SG ratio of 1.511. I like hoppy IPAs, but that's BITTER. Around .985-1.110 would be better, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that four different hop varieties in the dryhop will work well. I'd probably do two of them, or at most three.

I'd put some more hops in the boil, at 10 minutes and 5 minutes, if I wanted a big hoppy flavor and aroma.
I have an IPA I dryhop with three hops and can pick up all three just a little bit. It's worth it to at least try four hops the first time brewing this recipe.

I think it looks tasty but might move one of the bittering hops to FWH and cut the other in half. You will get similar IBUs but a smoother bitterness.

Hm... the more I thought about it the more I was thinking the IBUs were too high for the malt/alcohol levels... I'm curious about the quad dryhop, it seems to me that I may get lost in the flavors but I also think those flavors may work.

Then again, if I want it to work for sure maybe I should go summit/amarillo.

Also, I was contemplating FWH but I haven't done it before... since the IBUs are a bit ridiculous, maybe move half the 60min and half the 45min to FWH to round it out and save the palate from an alpha acid overload?

FWH won't actually lower your IBUs but will round out the bitterness a bit. I really like it and FWH all my beers. If you like the harsher bitterness then keep some of the hops in the traditional bittering time periods.

Try the 4 hop dry hop, it could be awesome and you would never know. It could be what makes this recipe unique to you.

Back