Sugar Water Booze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
I couldn't think of where to put this -- it almost went in drunken ramblings. :eek:

I was explaining to a buddy how yeast makes alcohol and he was quite amazed. "You mean, anything with sugar will make alcohol?"

So then I though, wait, what if you just took water, added some sugar, then threw in yeast? Would you actually have booze in some kind of strange firewater form?

-WW

:D

We don't discuss making hooch here....first becasue distilling is illegal in the US and this is a us hosted forum...an, well, we like to make quality. good tasting product, not pruno, or prisonwein...

I'm sure the mods will be along shortly....DOn't take any offense by this thread getting locked, it happend to many people, mostly underage college kids looking to get trashed in the dorm room.

Oh man, I'm sorry guys. I really didn't mean to cross a line. The idea just hit me and I thought I'd ask a few questions, but, well, I guess I got my answer.

Sorry mods! Honest mistake! Won't happen again.

Well - the OP never asked about distilling - just if alcohol could be made from sugar!

Yes, it can. Just like in craft beer, the sugar can be made into alcohol. Many "country" winemakers use sugar to increase the SG of the wine, to make an acceptable ABV as to preserve the wine.

Enterprising people can make alcohol out of just about anything that contains sugar. We'll talk about quality wine, mead, cider and beer. We'll leave pruno and hooch to other websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back