Quick beginner sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinsond

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got done fermenting my first batch of brew ever. I used a Mr. Beer kit. I was wondering, after I sanitize the bottles, do I also need to ensure the caps are sanitized as well? I did that just to be sure, but is that just an extra unnecessary step I'm doing? Thanks for your patience with my newbie question!

-Dave

No you were right. You need to sanitize ANYTHING that comes in contact with the beer on the cold end. So your all good! Welcome to brewing !

If you get the oxygen absorbing caps, do not sanitize them. They are activated by getting wet. I know a lot of guys don't sanitize caps no matter what, but I always have.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna continue to sanitize them just to be safe. I'm not sure the kind of caps I bought but they seem to have a little bit of rubber on the inside. Is it bad to wet those? And if so how can I ensure that they are clean?

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna continue to sanitize them just to be safe. I'm not sure the kind of caps I bought but they seem to have a little bit of rubber on the inside. Is it bad to wet those? And if so how can I ensure that they are clean?

Thanks,
Dave

The rubber will be fine. You can submerge them in the sanitizer or just use a spray bottle and make sure the entire surface is wet.

Edit: I've never used the oxygen absorbing caps, if that's what you have, so I can't speak on that.

A lot of people dip their caps in a small bowl of vodka just before bottling.

It's true that moisture will activate the seal on oxygen barrier caps, but the effect isn't instant, so it should be fine to let them soak while you're bottling. Just be sure to throw away any leftover caps---they can't be dried and used later.

I would sanitize ANY caps.

I doubt the oxygen absorbing would be destroyed in the time it takes to bottle a batch. I would also prefer to lose some of the oxygen absorption rather than risk a batch of my precious beer to infection.

You don't need to throw those caps away. They will still cap the bottles.

I sanitize the O2 absorbing caps. I put the number I need in a small bowl of sanitizer and pull them out as I bottle each beer placing them on top. When I'm finished I crimp all the caps and call it done.

You don't need to throw those caps away. They will still cap the bottles.

True, a dried cap will still cap just fine, but the oxygen barrier will probably be spent. A few caps are only worth a few pennies, so for my money, I try to soak only what I need and toss any leftovers.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll be soaking my caps as I use them...the oxygen barrier will hopefully hold on. If I notice problems with my brew, I'll look at that aspect as a factor first.

-Dave

I sanitize the O2 absorbing caps. I put the number I need in a small bowl of sanitizer and pull them out as I bottle each beer placing them on top. When I'm finished I crimp all the caps and call it done.

This is fine... if you don't mind wasting extra money on the oxygen caps. The oxygen absorbing compound is activated by getting it wet. When you sanitize them, they are (theoretically) pulling in some oxygen from the environment, but not from within your bottles. This is why you are supposed to cap them dry, turn them over, and then set them back on their bottoms. Wetting the cap is what activates the oxygen absorption.

If you are bottle conditioning, then the yeast will almost certainly use up any oxygen left in the neck of the bottle. If you bottle off of a keg, as I do, you may want to invest in the better caps and, if you do, don't sanitize them.

Given the fact that your caps are going on a sanitized bottle that is now filled with an antibiotic, alcohol rich substance, there is very little reason (other than paranoia) to sanitize your bottle caps, even if they are the "plain" ones.

Hmm maybe I won't then...I've got a lot to learn! And decide on. I guess some of it is personal preference, but if the people who don't sanitize the caps aren't having an issue, it seems as if it is in fact an extra step

Back