Partial Mash Cooler Mash-tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
Ok, so I can get my hands on either (maybe even both?) a 10 gallon beverage cooler or a 48 quart chest cooler. I am planning on one day going AG, but for the moment do not have the setup for that. What I am wondering is, are these coolers too big to be converted into a mash-tun for 4-5lbs of grain as in a PM recipe? Can I get a proper grain bed and such with such a small amount of grain? TIA for the help. Cheers!

That 48 quart probably is gonna be too thin a grain bed with a partial mash...your grainbed won't filter well. that's my thoughts at least.

I'd go with the 10gallon round cooler.

I assume you just can't handle a 7 gallon boil right now? You can PM as much as you can manage to boil. I did a big PM using two smaller stock pots, so I only had to add 1 gallon of top off water.
Its not the best setup, but it worked well for me until I could drop the cash for AG.

Back