Hoppy Pale Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
Don't Fail, Pale

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.055
Type: All Grain FG: 1.014
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.37 %
Calories: 180 IBU's: 40.42
Efficiency: 75 % Boil Size: 11.05 Gal
Color: 8.5 SRM Batch Size: 10.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.053 Boil Time: 70 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
16.00 lbs 75.47 % Briess 2-Row
Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037

2.50 lbs 11.79 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035

2.00 lbs 9.43 % Munich Malt -
10L 60 mins 1.035
.70 lbs 3.30 % Wheat, Torrified 60 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 1.85 Cascade 5 mins 5.50

1.00 ozs 5.63 Cascade 20 mins 5.50

0.50 ozs 6.75 Citra 20 mins

0.50 ozs 2.22 Citra 5 mins 13.20

1.00 ozs 18.19 Chinook 35 mins 13.00

What do y'all think?
0.50 ozs 4.35 Amarillo Gold 20 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 1.43 Amarillo Gold 5 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Where do we start?

Looks like a little too much Crystal, but for 10 gallons may be OK.

5 ozs hops for 10 gallons seems low. With only 2 ozs in the last 15 minutes you are going to be low on flavor and aroma.

Unless there is really something you are trying to get from them move all hops that are between 60 and 15 minutes either back to 60 minutes or forward to 15 and under. You don't get much flavor after 15 minutes and you maximize bittering with 60 minutes.

This beer has virtually no hop aroma (no 0 minute or dry hops).

I don't use dry yeasts. Is 1 pack OK for 10 gallons?

What mash temp?

Calder said:
Where do we start?

5 ozs hops for 10 gallons seems low. With only 2 ozs in the last 15 minutes you are going to be low on flavor and aroma.

Unless there is really something you are trying to get from them move all hops that are between 60 and 15 minutes either back to 60 minutes or forward to 15 and under. You don't get much flavor after 15 minutes and you maximize bittering with 60 minutes.

What mash temp?

I was going to dry hop with an oz of simcoe and an oz of cascade as well. I was going to mash at 153.

I might suggest Citra over the Simcoe as a dryhop, unless you want more of the pine aroma. The Chinook might be strong enough in the taste department for the pine and the Citra would give more of the citrus nose. Just a thought, I could be completely off, but I would at least redo the times you have listed for additions as Calder said.

Where do we start?

What mash temp?

I agree with some of this and disagree with other. Here are my opinions.

Grain bill -- I agree that you are a bit heavy on the caramel malt. I tend to use between 8 and 12 ounces in my 5 gallon batches. I have not used 20L, though, so it may work out nicely. Also, what is the purpose of the wheat? That is a bit out of style for a pale ale.

Hops -- I agree that you should probably move the timing of the additions. I would focus on doing additions at: 60 minutes (bittering), 15 minutes (flavor), and 5 minutes or less (aroma). I disagree with the idea that you do not have enough hops generally. Gordon Strong (I'm pretty sure it was him) suggests that .25 ounces will be slight flavor/aroma, .5 ounces will be mid-range, and 1 ounce will be aggressive for a 5 gallon batch. You have either 1.5 or 2 ounces of aroma additions at the 5 minute mark and will have the same amount for 15 minute flavor additions. You are going to get aggressive flavor and aroma from these additions. I know that lots of brewers these days are looking for hop flavor and aroma that slaps you in the face. If you really want this to be crazy hoppy, then you should add more hops. But this will already have more hop flavor and aroma that a middle of the road APA (in my opinion). The suggestion that you will have "virtually no hop aroma" because your additions are at 5 minutes instead of 0 minutes is just wrong. I always do a 5 minute addition (and no 0 minute addition) and I get plenty of hop aroma.

I agree that you should probably use two yeast packets. The US-05 packets are perfect for 5 gallon batches. Spending an additional $3 for another yeast packet seems like a wise investment to make sure the yeast is not stressed from under-pitching.

rklinck said:
I agree with some of this and disagree with other. Here are my opinions.

Grain bill -- I agree that you are a bit heavy on the caramel malt. I tend to use between 8 and 12 ounces in my 5 gallon batches. I have not used 20L, though, so it may work out nicely. Also, what is the purpose of the wheat? That is a bit out of style for a pale ale.

Hops -- I agree that you should probably move the timing of the additions. I would focus on doing additions at: 60 minutes (bittering), 15 minutes (flavor), and 5 minutes or less (aroma). I disagree with the idea that you do not have enough hops generally. Gordon Strong (I'm pretty sure it was him) suggests that .25 ounces will be slight flavor/aroma, .5 ounces will be mid-range, and 1 ounce will be aggressive for a 5 gallon batch. You have either 1.5 or 2 ounces of aroma additions at the 5 minute mark and will have the same amount for 15 minute flavor additions. You are going to get aggressive flavor and aroma from these additions. I know that lots of brewers these days are looking for hop flavor and aroma that slaps you in the face. If you really want this to be crazy hoppy, then you should add more hops. But this will already have more hop flavor and aroma that a middle of the road APA (in my opinion). The suggestion that you will have "virtually no hop aroma" because your additions are at 5 minutes instead of 0 minutes is just wrong. I always do a 5 minute addition (and no 0 minute addition) and I get plenty of hop aroma.

I agree that you should probably use two yeast packets. The US-05 packets are perfect for 5 gallon batches. Spending an additional $3 for another yeast packet seems like a wise investment to make sure the yeast is not stressed from under-pitching.

The wheat is just there for head retention. Yeah i'll throw 2 packs of US-05 in there. What do y'all think of chinook as a 60 minute addition? Is it harsh as a bittering hop?

I just started drinking an IPA I brewed with 8 oz of only chinook for 5 gal, and I love it. It's somewhat harsh but in an IPA that's what I'm looking for. Only 1 oz at 60 should be fine for 10 gal though, I used 3 oz for 5g.

hopmonster2189 said:
I just started drinking an IPA I brewed with 8 oz of only chinook for 5 gal, and I love it. It's somewhat harsh but in an IPA that's what I'm looking for. Only 1 oz at 60 should be fine for 10 gal though, I used 3 oz for 5g.

Yeah I love ipa's but I'm brewing this for swmbo so I have to move cautiously.

hopmonster2189 said:
Roger I read hoppy pale and my mind queued IPA. I'd step lightly with the chinook then

Yeah for some reason she doesn't like the mouth puckering bitterness of a DIPA. I'm trying to get her to like hop flavor then slowly lead her to the dark side!

Yeah for some reason she doesn't like the mouth puckering bitterness of a DIPA. I'm trying to get her to like hop flavor then slowly lead her to the dark side!

My recommendation is then to go more with more citrus style hops for your late additions rather than piney...

Also, give her the citrusy-floral aromas without significant mouth puckering.

I am not sure if this is the best example, however I was able to get my fiancee, her mother, and her aunt to each drink and more importantly enjoy an Odell IPA (on tap). That is ~60 IBUs of enjoyment. So if you want to change the idea, give them citrus-floral-fruity hops and stay away for earthy, dank, piney, etc hops. Just my advice.

thood6 said:

Maybe not for this brew, but another option for building up her tolerance is to use noble hops rather than traditional APA hops. They will give a much more understated/delicate hop flavor and aroma.

What you have:
75.47% 2-Row (Pale Ale)
11.79% Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L this is going to get cloying. consider 5-8%
9.43 % Munich Malt what are you trying to accomplish w this?
3.30 % Wheat, Torrified 60 mins 1.036 this probably isn't necessary if you use crystal malt

Hops
1.00 ozs Cascade 5 min
1.00 ozs Cascade 20 mins
0.50 ozs Citra 20 mins
0.50 ozs Citra 5 mins
1.00 ozs Chinook 35 mins
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 20 mins
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 5 mins

what i would do (assuming 10 gal):
2 oz citra (60 min)
1 oz cascade (10 min)
1 oz amarillo (10 min)
1 oz cascade (0 min)
1 oz amarillo (0 min)

general comments
consider dropping the crystal all together. a simple 2-row / carapils or 2-row / wheat combination can result in a supremely satisfying pale.

what's your mash look like?

what are some commercial beers that your wife likes?

progmac said:
What you have:
75.47% 2-Row (Pale Ale)
11.79% Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L this is going to get cloying. consider 5-8%
9.43 % Munich Malt what are you trying to accomplish w this?
3.30 % Wheat, Torrified 60 mins 1.036 this probably isn't necessary if you use crystal malt

Hops
1.00 ozs Cascade 5 min
1.00 ozs Cascade 20 mins
0.50 ozs Citra 20 mins
0.50 ozs Citra 5 mins
1.00 ozs Chinook 35 mins
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 20 mins
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 5 mins

what i would do (assuming 10 gal):
2 oz citra (60 min)
1 oz cascade (10 min)
1 oz amarillo (10 min)
1 oz cascade (0 min)
1 oz amarillo (0 min)

general comments
consider dropping the crystal all together. a simple 2-row / carapils or 2-row / wheat combination can result in a supremely satisfying pale.

what's your mash look like?

what are some commercial beers that your wife likes?

I'm not sure what he has in mind with the Munich malt, but I love adding it to pale ales. It adds a great malty backbone. Considering that his wife is not a hop head, I think the Munich and some Caramel are a good idea. These will provide maltiness that will balance the bitterness and hop flavor.

I'm not sure what he has in mind with the Munich malt, but I love adding it to pale ales. It adds a great malty backbone. Considering that his wife is not a hop head, I think the Munich and some Caramel are a good idea. These will provide maltiness that will balance the bitterness and hop flavor.
good point. i was probably projecting a bit with my recommendations.

Thanks for all of y'all's help so far. I updated the recipe with some of the suggestions so far.

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.053
Type: All Grain FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.24 %
Calories: 173 IBU's: 38.53
Efficiency: 75 % Boil Size: 11.05 Gal
Color: 7.3 SRM Batch Size: 10.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.050 Boil Time: 70 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
16.00 lbs 79.21 % Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037

1.00 lbs 4.95 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035

2.50 lbs 12.38 % Munich Malt -