Oktoberfest Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucaBrewing

Reaction score
All,

I'm brewing an Oktoberfest fest for the first time and I do not have a carboy for the secondary. Can just leave my wort in the primary for an additional 2-3 weeks before bottling or should I just put my wort in my secondary bucket for an additional 2 weeks (I prefer not to do this because I believe have a very slight leak around the spigot) or do I really need a carboy??

Thanks

you really only need a secondary vessel (whether it is a bucket or a carboy) if you are dry hopping or adding fruit. I doubt you are adding fruit to an Oktoberfest..

Depends, you may risk ruining primary fermenter. I would make sure to give it a great cleaning afterwords, if you see any scratches or stains, throw it out.

Depends, you may risk ruining primary fermenter. I would make sure to give it a great cleaning afterwords, if you see any scratches or stains, throw it out.

Why would leaving the beer in primary a couple extra weeks ruin the fermenter? I have several plastic pail fermenters that I've used over a half a dozen times each with no infections. Just don't use abrasives to clean them.

As for the original question. It's supposedly not "good practice" for a lager, but I've done it before (6 weeks actually), with no obvious ill effects.

I have made quite a few Oktoberfests and I leave my beer in primary for at least 4 weeks. Then if you choose to actually lager it you would rack to a secondary and then drop temp to around 32-36 degrees for a month or two. Most of my lager beers are done in 2-3 weeks at lager fementation temps of 50-54 deg. Leaving it longer up to two months will NOT hurt it, ignore the other advice to the contrary. Good brewing !

Back