How to use wheat in a brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratm4484

Reaction score
How fermentable would wheat flake be?

Many belgain wits used unmalted wheat I believe. Is this somthing that I can just pick up at the grocery store then?

When do I add wheat to my mash? and does it need to be kept below a certain temp?

Thanks for the help

Check out the Wiki

Your LHBS should have flaked wheat. You might find it a grocery store as well, in the organic/health food section (I think Whole Foods has it).

You can add it at the beginning of the mash with the rest of the grains, and mash as usual. You *could* do a protein rest for it, but since it's generally added for head retention and body, you'd be defeating the purpose.

I have used unmalted whole wheat berries in a brew before. I just bottled last night so I am not sure how it turned out. But yeah with the berries I just ran them through the mill...it's a pita though as they are like tiny rubber pellets :D

ratm4484 said:
How fermentable would wheat flake be?
Many belgain wits used unmalted wheat I believe. Is this somthing that I can just pick up at the grocery store then?
When do I add wheat to my mash? and does it need to be kept below a certain temp?
Thanks for the help
My Blue Balls Belgian Wit is 50% 2-Row and 50% Flaked Wheat. It has a potential gravity of 1.035, compared to 1.036 for the 2-row.

I mash it in under the same schedule as my base malts. B&B is right, you can do a protein rest to reduce protein haze, but Flaked wheat is generally used in beers that are better served with the "unfiltered", hazy look.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen Flaked Wheat at my local Shop&Save.

Back