My son loves me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapaglia

Reaction score
My middle child is in town to get married tomorrow. Friday I was kidding with him and told him to go buy me a 3 gallon Better Bottle. Today I came home from the barber to find a 3 gallon Better Bottle with the orange carboy cap next to my chair. The stinker went out and got me one. Thats a great boy.

So my question is will the orange carboy cap fit tight enough on the 3 gal. BB to use with an airlock. It snaps on but there is some up and down play on it. Ive seen them used with the 5 gal BB. If its not going to be a good enough fit I can get a #10 stopper for it.

Its good to have kids :D

It probably isn't air tight, but you don't REALLY need it to be. As long as CO2 is coming out, nothing is going in and it won't be getting oxidized, hell a lot of European brewers use open fermenters. I would avoid using it for long term aging though, as it's oxygen permeability is probably pretty high, and will oxidize the beer. I would be too uneasy using an unsealed bottle though, and #10 stopper are only a couple bucks.

I use the orange cap on my BBs. It has the same amount of 'play', but it's tight enough of a seal to make my blow-off tube or airlocks bubble. As the guys said above, even if it weren't air tight, it's unlikely anything will get inside.

I have 2 six gallon Better Bottles and 2 of those orange caps...but I'm afraid to use them because they just don't feel tight. No "snapping on" really...just more of a "getting on there". There is play. Are you guys saying that's ok? Are they alright to use on my primary?

So I noticed that AustinHomeBrew says to use the red cap on the 3, 5, 6 gallon BBs. So I asked Forrest and his reply was, "The orange one is too loose. The Burgundy cap is harder to put on but it is a snug fit. You can use the orange one but the airlock won't work." Well that makes sense to me. I know the red cap is smaller and as long as they say it will fit I'm going to get one and save my orange for times when I use a glass carboy.

Back