Couple of questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omegaman13

Reaction score
Didn't really get the efficiency numbers on my last brews that I would have liked. I am trying to get a fix on the potential problems by going down my list of things I may not have done up to par.

1. How long do you mix the mash prior to 60min rest? I have been mixing for about 30 seconds.

2. Prior to sparge do you have you re-mix up the mash and then start to vorlauf/sparge?

3. What is the scientific explanation of stopping runnings at 1.010?

4. Any resources you would recommend? I have how to brew, but would like some other texts.

1. Mix it until all the grains are evenly wet. However long that takes without letting the temp drop too far.

2. Are you fly sparging or batch? I batch sparge and I do not mix for first runnings. I do mix for the first sparge to make sure all the hot sparge water had evenly been mixed to stop the enzymes and rinse the sugars.

3. Do not know scientifically. I do not generally bother taking readings anymore of the runnings. I collect the amount I need then take a preboil reading to make sure I have what I expected. I think at a certain point you are no longer collecting enough sugars and you risk extracting tannins and other undesirable flavor components.

4. This forum and others. Personal experience (learn by doing). Other brewers in your area (clubs, LHBS). Many of the Homebrew podcasts and live internet radio programs (such as the brewing network)

Back