My Townhouse Hop Yard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealf

Reaction score
Well; I rent in a townhouse so I can't really dig in the yard which sucks; but this is what I've came up with. Does anyone have any input as to how this may or may not work? Thanks in advance guys; I have learned so much from all of you!!!! :mug:

I just provided links because the pictures are really gigantic.

Picture 1
Picture 2

Neal

The strings/twine look heavy enough, so they bines should climb fine.
Looks like a good creative solution.

Couple of ?'s:
Did you drill drainage holes in the pots? (I'm not being a EAC-just want to make sure you don't drown the rhizomes/roots).
How much sun do you get on the back of the townhouse? (more sun=more better)

There are about 6 1" holes in the bottom of the pot and there is a fair amount of sand in the media so it should drain pretty well. Also, this side of the townhouse faces south :ban: I get plenty of strong sunlight... got really lucky there. Thanks for the input!!

Neal :mug:

That looks almost identical to the set up I have (though I'm guessing you may get slightly better weather!). My guess is that that'll work fine. Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on.

clemson55 said:
See you at Sectionals JCOW Ultimate :rockin:

Indeed you will!! Two weeks to go; come say whats up :tank:

Neal

Neal those hops are rocking man. Mine are struggling I moved and now they are on a little porch on the bottom floor so they only get sun for about 6 hrs and good sun for 2-3.

My Goldings didn't get much higher than about 30" I would say; they stopped for about a month at 24" but have recently taken off again. I don't think they are going to do to well in my climate; I might try to trade them off later.

How green are the leaves? If the leaves are pale/lighter green you're probably lacking some nutrients. The leaves should be about as dark green as a tomato plant. My plants were stunted also here in Mississippi until I started using Miracle Gro and side dressed with some triple 8.

For the record side dressing is digging a small hole about 2 inches deep in the earth about 6" away from your plant and putting granulated fertilizer in it. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO PUT THE FERTILIZER TOO CLOSE TO THE RHIZOME! Doing so would kill them quickly. If you're scared to use the side dressing, just hit them with Miracle grow twice in one week then once a week there after.

Schlante,
Phillip

Cones almost ready... I think.

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

Cones almost ready... I think.

Look at them closely. They will transition from green leafy-like pine cones to a craft paper-mache. You should be able to see yellow pollen or lupilin. Squeeze them. If they smell good, floral, herbal, or citrusy, then pick them. Toss out any that are turning brown. The darker green color should be minimal.

For mine I'll pick about 60% that are fully developed. Then 2-3 weeks later there will another descent picking. Then about a mouth later you might get a little more. It all depends on the weather.

First year but the rhizome I got was pretty large so I attribute most of their success to that.

Back