That **** is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prost!

Reaction score
OK, brewed my first batch of Belgian Trippel last Sunday (3rd batch ever). Got a fast vigorous start and still getting a good amount of airlock action. I'm getting a distinctive banana smell from the top of the airlock in the primary. I've read that that can be a sign of a batch gone wrong. Is this true? Or is it just because there’s so much malt and sugar in this recipe? (liquid malt extract, DME, Belgian candy sugar, and hops--no grains) Also, a whiff of alcohol. Yeah buddy! :cross:

I'll taste it when I rack. That should be a good indication.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Complex with moderate to significant spiciness, moderate fruity esters and low alcohol and hop aromas. Generous spicy, peppery, sometimes clove-like phenols. Esters are often reminiscent of citrus fruits such as oranges, but may sometimes have a slight banana character. A low yet distinctive spicy, floral, sometimes perfumy hop character is usually found. Alcohols are soft, spicy and low in intensity. No hot alcohol or solventy aromas. The malt character is light. No diacetyl.

My read is that it's the yeast type.

Somebody here once said: "the smell is LEAVING your beer, not staying in it" RDWHHB

"And yoooooou light up my life" . . . click, click POW!

Doesn't sugar have a habit to produce those smells as well (if it was not normal for this beer)?

Plain sugar is more notorious for cidery flavors. Bananas is usually associated more with yeast strains and fermentation temperatures.

LupusUmbrus said:
Plain sugar is more notorious for cidery flavors. Bananas is usually associated more with yeast strains and fermentation temperatures.

Fermentation temp is 65*F. Yeast is White Labs Abbey Ale.

Back