Are Alternate Dry Hop Methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I have a Double Bastard that needs Chinook flavor and aroma. It's plenty bitter but that Chinooky goodness just isn't there.

Are there alternate ways of dry hopping, like soaking hops in vodka, that can impart the same flavor as dry hopping?

I just put an ounce of chinook in the keg. The only other idea that came to me initially was the hop randall.

image-295121950.jpg

ultravista said:
Add an ounce of pelletized hops to the keg? In what, mesh, panty hose, tea ball ....?

I use the biggest two of the biggest size tea balls that Bed Bath and Beyond sells. I also use a mesh bag (intended for pellets, but with leaf hops) from my HBS.

The method I recommend for the most potent aroma and flavor is the chuckawad technique. Take 3oz of your chosen hop(s). Chuck a wad in your mouth and chew vigorously to a fine paste. Spit that into a clean bowl. Repeat until the entire 3 oz are in the bowl. Mix in an ounce of vodka to sanitize and let sit for 10min. You can add this strait to secondary or place in a muslin sack or your tea balls (actually, they are likely brass by now).

The method I recommend for the most potent aroma and flavor is the chuckawad technique. Take 3oz of your chosen hop(s). Chuck a wad in your mouth and chew vigorously to a fine paste. Spit that into a clean bowl. Repeat until the entire 3 oz are in the bowl. Mix in an ounce of vodka to sanitize and let sit for 10min. You can add this strait to secondary or place in a muslin sack or your tea balls (actually, they are likely brass by now).

Wait. What? Came to this thread and started reading about panty hose and hop phlegm. Wtf!?

govner1 said:
Chad at Arbor Fabricating make a SS mesh basket/tube that will fit in a keg for dry hopping.

Those look awesome but are listed as "unavailable" on every website that I've found them on.

I went with dry hopping, a knee-high nylon stocking with 1 oz. of Chinook. After an hour or so, the Chinook was already very apparent.

Back