2nd batch with The Monster!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natehilde

Reaction score
I have completed the second batch with The AG Monster. I did an ESB last week. Here are some pics.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/natehilde/P7211478.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/natehilde/P9220184.jpg
P9220189.jpg

P9220192.jpg

P9220193.jpg

P9230206.jpg

I have managed to melt the insulation I was using on the MLT. Still looking for a good replacement if you have any suggestions. I am also having a hard time getting my wort below 78F on the way into the fermenter.

natehilde said:
I have managed to melt the insulation I was using on the MLT. Still looking for a good replacement if you have any suggestions. I am also having a hard time getting my wort below 78F on the way into the fermenter.

Why not use an ice bath. Drill two holes into a cooler at either end run the counterflow chiller through it with an ice bath in there. Its the best of both worlds. :mug:

A few people have used reflectix on their MLTs as insulation and taped it on with aluminum tape. I don't insulate mine. I don't really see enough heat loss to bother with it.

Oh, and great setup! Doesn't a dedicated brew stand make things nice and easy.

Yo! I thought the same thing! Those grains look like they've all lived the charm life!

BTW, my IC could kick your CFC's butt!!!! Do us all proud! If you're gonna call it a monster....well...you get the point....:mug:

There's a guy here who found a chiller equal to the therminator for $50 less....look around....

You have pumps, why not pump the wort through the chiller and back to keggle a few times before going to the carboy?

natehilde said:
I am also having a hard time getting my wort below 78F on the way into the fermenter.
You've got 2 pumps, you're all set up to make that part really easy (if you would've gone with QDs). Pump the wort through the CFC back into the kettle until the entire thing is < 120'. Then pump ice water through the CFC as the wort makes its final pass to the fermenter. That should get you down to at least 70'.

Wow, thanks for all the information. I can't believe that I have never thought of sending the wort back through the chiller again.

As for the crush, or lack there of...

I'm glad you mentioned that. I have never seen what a "good crush" is supposed to look like. I have been doing this all on the "wing it" method. What you see is the way the grains came to me "crushed" from Northern Brewer. I haven't purchased a grain mill yet, so I have to rely on the HBS.

Like I said, this is only my second AG batch. The first one turned out OK, but with much room for improvement. If there is anyone out there from the Charleston area that wants to come over and tell me how f0cked up my methods are, your experience and advice would be appreciated. Aside from that, I will just continue to learn by experimentation coupled with eye opening comments from you guys.

Thanks again

Goddamn that is a nice brewstand....did you build it or buy it? If you built it and still don't know what a good crush looks like....

A good crush should have most of the grain husks still intact (i.e. broken in two pieces or so) so they will work nicely as filter material, and the endospore (white stuff inside) broken up without too much dust. I usually err towards grinding too much rather than undercrushing, I find I don't get stuck sparges much anyway and I'd rather get good efficiency. My LHBS has an electric driven corona mill, so it isn't great but it works and they let me adjust it as I like.

natehilde said:
As for the crush, or lack there of...

I'm glad you mentioned that. I have never seen what a "good crush" is supposed to look like.

Check out this post for a picture of a good crush.

natehilde said:
What you see is the way the grains came to me "crushed" from Northern Brewer. I haven't purchased a grain mill yet, so I have to rely on the HBS.

The next time you order you should call or email Northern Brewer to make sure they really do crush your grains. They don't looked crushed at all to me.

natehilde said:
Like I said, this is only my second AG batch. The first one turned out OK, but with much room for improvement. If there is anyone out there from the Charleston area that wants to come over and tell me how f0cked up my methods are, your experience and advice would be appreciated. Aside from that, I will just continue to learn by experimentation coupled with eye opening comments from you guys.

Thanks again

We all have a lot to learn. You're on the right track for sure. :mug:

ScubaSteve said:
BTW, my IC could kick your CFC's butt!!!! Do us all proud! If you're gonna call it a monster....well...you get the point....:mug:

WOW....I sound like an EAC there. My bad :eek:

:mug:

OldFarmer said:
That's a great old reams. Where did you come by that rig? The builder was a real craftsman......:)

I honestly have no earthly idea what an "old reams" is, but if you are referring to my brew stand and setup, I take that as a compliment.

With the exception of plasma cutting the tops off the kegs, I did all the work myself over the summer. The stand is made of 1" square tubing that I cut, fitted and welded in my garage. Like I said, I did it this summer, in Charleston SC, in 100+ degree weather, with a welder. It was hot!!! By the way, welding in shorts and a T-shirt is not a good idea!

chillHayze said:
Nate, could you share with us your recipe and OG?

Curious about the crush, man.

Here is the recipe that I used for a 10 gallon batch.

* 18 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter
* 2 lbs. Simpsons Crystal
* 2 oz. Target (60 min)
* 2 oz. Kent Goldings (30 min)
* 2 oz. Fuggle (10 min)
* 2 oz. Kent Goldings (1 min)

Single infusion at 153F
Mash out after 60 min at 170F

OG was around 1042

Wyeast #1968 London ESB Yeast

Whadayathink?

brloomis said:
Check out this post for a picture of a good crush.

WOW!!!!

I think I have been getting hosed. I guess it is about time to invest in a mill. BTW, I was reading in BYO last issue about bacterial contamination due to grinding in the vicinity of where you brew. What is that all about?

natehilde said:
WOW!!!!

I think I have been getting hosed. I guess it is about time to invest in a mill. BTW, I was reading in BYO last issue about bacterial contamination due to grinding in the vicinity of where you brew. What is that all about?

I've heard that too. I think the idea is that the grain dust thrown up by the mill harbors germs that could infect your beer. I mill and brew outside, and handle cool wort and finished beer inside, so I don't think its an issue for me.

BTW, I have a Barley Crusher and it works great.

brloomis said:
BTW, I have a Barley Crusher and it works great.

I saw that. I have been comparing some and that is the one that I am leaning towards. The price tag is why I have waited this long.

I just ran your recipe through BeerSmith and your efficiency really sucks. With an OG at 1.042 your efficiency is only at 55.9%. Yeah I'd get me a barley crusher very soon. With a decent crush you should have atleast gotten around 1.056 just to get near 75%. Maybe someone else can to the math and see if I'm off.

Latest posts

Back