cigars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
anybody have a fav cigar?
mine's Bolivar, maduro, corona size. damn good smoke! especialy with a chocolate stout or Macallan Scotch :drunk:

I partake from time to time, especially when SWMBO is out of town, but I'm basically a cigar hack. I'm a robusto ho, Partagas Serie D #4, Montecristo Edmundo, RyJ Exhibicion #2 are currently in the ol' humidor. For 'domestics' I've been going with some Mayorga Gorditas and recently got a bundle of Flor de Oliva Maduro Torps which is a bit longer than my usual smoke, but a great bargain at < $2/stick IMO.

sounds like you partake more than time to time ;^)

i like Sancho Panza too. may just toke on one tonight. my SWMBO is in Houston for work..............

Once a week, increasing exponentially as the distance from SWMBO increases. But if I go two or three weeks it doesn't bother me. I'm still a hack. I approach cigars the same way I approach wine...if I like it I drink it, and if I don't I don't, hints of black currants, alpine grasses, and old leather be damned.

me too bro. i'm not near the cigar/wine snob like i am a beer snob!

we have these cigar nights quarterly to benefit a local charity. that's where i get my limited cigar knowledge from.

I'm more of a partigas no 6 kind of guy. Small, enjoyable. I don't need a stogie that lasts for an hour. I really like my pipes though. I don't have as much idle time as I once had to enjoy them but the taste and smell of a nice cherry cavendish comming from a Savinelli pipe is heavenly.

Same here, when SWMBO is not around. They can take the joy and serenity out of it, can't they.

ScottT said:
Same here, when SWMBO is not around. They can take the joy and serenity out of it, can't they.
like a cold shower! :p

you guy's ever check out JR Cigar? if we have to order Bolivar, that's were we get 'em. not too easy to find around here.....good prices, plus they do 5 pack for cheap.

I would have to say that my favorite is the CAO Criollo and MX2. A friend of mine is a big cigar smoker so there is never a shortage!!

Had someone ask me one time if I smoked after sex.

I told them, well, I don't really know ..I'v never checked. :D:D

DeRoux's Broux said:
like a cold shower! :p

you guy's ever check out JR Cigar? if we have to order Bolivar, that's were we get 'em. not too easy to find around here.....good prices, plus they do 5 pack for cheap.

Jr. Cigar is the bomb baby!

The Jr. Cigar brand from the cataloge are as good as they get. I've smoked fresh cubans, and all the expensive $10 cigars, and they are just as good, but only much less expensive.

I've had several of those mentioned earlier but I always seem to come back to Drew Estates' Natural line. The Root and Dirt are tastey but its the White Rabbit that I enjoy the best especially with a Mackeson's XXX Stout.

Wild

gibfried said:
Jr. Cigar is the bomb baby!

The Jr. Cigar brand from the cataloge are as good as they get. I've smoked fresh cubans, and all the expensive $10 cigars, and they are just as good, but only much less expensive.
i wondered about those JR labeled cigars? they are way cheaper than the name brands. it's tough to beat those 5 pack samplers though? i think they run about $5-8 for good labels?

DeRoux's Broux said:
i wondered about those JR labeled cigars? they are way cheaper than the name brands. it's tough to beat those 5 pack samplers though? i think they run about $5-8 for good labels?
I work about 30 minutes from JR's Burlington store and pop in there from time to time. I agree the JR Ults are good smokes (although not really cheap). All of the regular JR's I've tried have been dogs even with age and I won't buy any more. A good cheap bundled cigar that JR sells are the Consuegras which are seconds from various brands (I've seen charts correlating them, but that's beyond my level of involvement), ~$30/bundle of 25.

wasn't sure about spelling, but that's the one. can't get that image of a boiling stomach outta my head......

I eat haggis for breakfast and dinner. I love the stuff. I used to stay at a bed and breakfast in Powfoot Scotland for shooting vacations and we'd get either haggis or black pudding with eggs for breakfast. After a heavy night at the pub, it'll fix you right up.

This stuff will put lead in your pencil.

Where's your sence of adventure?

i would probably have to try at the end of the night at a pub! :~)
just doesn't look good. even sawa iton Anthony Bourdane's(?) No Reservation on Travel Channel. never say never right?

As a matter of fact, I do make my own. Getting the lamb offal is a bit difficult; I had to find an organic sheep farm to get them. I don't use a sheep's stomach but rather collagen casings to stuff it in.

It's good but just not the same as eating it in Scotland though.

ScottT said:
As a matter of fact, I do make my own. Getting the lamb offal is a bit difficult; I had to find an organic sheep farm to get them. I don't use a sheep's stomach but rather collagen casings to stuff it in.

It's good but just not the same as eating it in Scotland though.

"Offal?" That's a new one on me. I mean I know the general definition of "offal," but not in this context.

I buy my father a box of cigars for his birthday and at Christmas. He likes the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur's - Maduro wrappers. I have been buying them from Gothamcigars.com for $85/box 20 . Anybody know a better site to buy from. This seems to be the best price I've found.

Wikipedia said:
In the UK Midlands ******s are made from ground or minced pig offal (mainly liver and cheek), bread, herbs and onion wrapped in pig's caul.
I'm sure someone has something to say about this. :D :D

El Pistolero said:
I'm sure someone has something to say about this. :D :D

Yep, they're mighty tasty. :D

I was a bit shocked to see the name of these meatballs when I was there too. It didn't stop me.

Offal is the left over organs. Mainly heart, liver kidney, some times brain and longs. In haggis it's mixed with barley, herbs and spices.
I must admit its not often put in stomachs any more (apart from mine that is).

I love the stuff to. I buy around one a month and eat it daily for a week or so after. It's good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, Salads bbqs, the lot.

Yummy.

We don't get haggis in Ireland, and since I've never been to Scotland yet, I've not had the opportunity to try it. yet.
We do have black pudding (blood sausage) though - it's great to have a big fryup after a night on the sauce - seriously - next time you're hungover, go to the local Irish bar and get a "Full Irish" breakfast. You'll be right as rain before you're finished. Admittedly it's hard to imagine eating when you're in this state, but if you can force it down a bit it's all good.
Now. How did we get from cigars being foul, to the delights of blood sausage???

Latest posts

Back