"So and so" is a beer connoisseur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atonk

Reaction score
I'm probably just getting old and crotchety, but I have to know if the rest of you out there experience this.

I have a friend who just started seeing someone, and she says "I told him you're a homebrewer - he's a beer connoisseur and wants to try your beer."

(repeat over and over in a variety of settings and situations)

I think this whole "connoisseur" thing gets thrown around a little too loosely. I love sharing my beer, but I'd be far more apt to give someone a sample if they just asked.

I'm probably just getting old and crotchety, but I have to know if the rest of you out there experience this.

I have a friend who just started seeing someone, and she says "I told him you're a homebrewer - he's a beer connoisseur and wants to try your beer."

I think this whole "connoisseur" thing gets thrown around a little too loosely. I love sharing my beer, but I'd be far more apt to give someone a sample if they just asked.

I don't know- I sort of like it.

I mean, if I say "I love beer!" I have people handing me Rolling Rock as a "great beer". If I say, "I love craft beer!", people think I want two Rolling Rocks.

But if I call my self a beer "connoisseur", maybe that would connote that I like good craft beer? Just a thought!

But if I call my self a beer "connoisseur", maybe that would connote that I like good craft beer? Just a thought!
Just coming out and admitting that "I'm somewhat of a beer snob" usually heads off the BMC. :p

Connoisseur actually sounds more pretensions to me.

I'd be curious as to his definition of connoiseur. Makes me think of the funny things said about beer thread...

I'm a beer critic.

I'm most critical of my own brews.

I think critics tend to analyze all aspects of the beer; aroma, color, clarity, initial flavor, cold flavor, warm flavor, aftertaste, etc, etc. A beer lover just likes drinking beer, maybe for the taste, maybe for the buzz...a critic is focused on the quality of the beer.

I think people should be proud that they don't drink giant conglomerated international junk beer. They might drink "craft" because it's better beer, they might do it because they want to support local business, they might do it because they want to feel fancy and elitist, or they might do it because they don't want their money going to an international corporation.

the funny thing is that I haven't brewed much to style, so even when a "connoisseur" tries my homebrew, they still might find it challenging and unlike what they're used to.

I think if someone describes themselves as a connoisseur and they're interested in tasting what you make, you should take that as a complement.

I’d tell her to tell him, “Sure, come on over. Bring one of your favorites and we’ll do a tasting.” I’m tired of supplying beer to people who won’t reciprocate.

Interesting that connoisseur sounds snobbier than snob. I went to the dictionary and a ‘snob’ thinks he’s better than everyone else and a ‘connoisseur’ knows what he’s talking about.

Connotatively the meanings seem reversed. People have called me a beer snob because I’m drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and they’re drinking Whatever Light. It’s not mean spirited. They know I don’t care what they drink.

Maybe we could be beer experts, that’s more neutral.

When I hear someone describe themselves as a beer connoisseur, my first thought is a pretentious hipster who probably considers PBR to be "craft" beer. Someone who is a real connoisseur should be able to discuss the nuances of the various styles and their commercial examples. Your friend's significant other is probably just someone who is more open to trying different styles than the average person.

A "connoisseur" has expertise and passion. An "aficionado" better describes most so-called connoisseurs these days, if you want a fancier word than "fan." All an aficionado needs is passion.

Generally cut people some slack. People throw around terms loosely, and for most it means "good-natured folk who enjoy a good beer"

Some are knowledgeable, some aren't. Who cares. If they enjoy my beer, that's good enough for me.

I like "amateur":
An amateur (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover")
Being a native French speaker, I see this term as being motivated by love (of beer, of course).
It is also kind of bullet proof against any attempt to see me as a snob even when I refuse a Bud.

Hmm, I used to consider myself a beer connoisseur before I started brewing, I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course we'll always get our fair share of hipsters that think that since they've had a few Chimay's they're connoisseurs but there no shame in using the word for the people that it does fit. Myself, I've had many different hundreds of beers, but I also knew a lot of info about those beers, and other beers within the brand's line.

If someone truly loves beer and makes an effort to try a lot of different beers to gain experience and also learn about them then I see nothing wrong with using the title. I would rather a self proclaimed beer connoisseur try my beer than Joe neighbor who's only feedback will be "thank you!".

Rev.

i'm probably just getting old and crotchety, but i have to know if the rest of you out there experience this.

I have a friend who just started seeing someone, and she says "i told him you're a homebrewer - he's a beer connoisseur and wants to try your beer."

i think this whole "connoisseur" thing gets thrown around a little too loosely. I love sharing my beer, but i'd be far more apt to give someone a sample if they just asked.

rdwhahb

osagedr said:

Yeah. "I like beer." This sums it up. And I've absolutely no qualms with admitting I appreciate even the big guys. A couple Rolling Rocks, some Coors Banquet, even a Bud Light or two has its place. What a silly, snobby hobby brewing would become if we all pretentiously judged others for not "understanding" us. Yeesh...

I think connoisseur has a much better connotation than snob. Maybe I just watch too much Food Network.

In any case, I prefer the word "drinker." Everyone knows what a beer drinker is and there's little chance they'll offer you wine. I'm very open to BMC, if the setting is right -- that doesn't stop me from drinking a IIPA, or Flanders Red, or Kölsch.

In case you're interested, proper BMC settings are:
(1) Someone else brought the beer and there's nothing else available (why didn't you bring a case of homebrew?)
(2) You need cheap cans of something for a hot, beach setting (I prefer Coors Light)
(3) You're studying Light American Lagers for the BJCP.

I prefer beer geek, at least when referring to myself. I do tend to geek out over beer, like to talk about it, make it, drink it, and generally obsess, but I'm not a snob. If someone hands you a beer, you should drink it, because that was a really nice thing for them to do. Don't tell them why you don't drink that fizzy yellow swill, you jerk.

It's also why I greatly prefer the term "craft" beer to "artisanal." What I do isn't art, and I'm not an artist. I'm a craftsman and this is my craft. It's hard work over a long period of time to gain expertise; to be able to generate an end product which is useful and has value to others exactly as I designed it.

I suppose it would all be about tone. If it was a guy that appreciates good beer then its all good bother. drink your fill and constructive criticism is always appreciated.

But if hes the type that gets off on picking out every single flaw, even ones based on opinion just to feel sophisticated (an annoying and pretentious habit of many "connisours") i wouldn't be too enthused about it.

Well hmmm...I like to get drunk on a good beer that has good flavor & aroma,good head,...lacing is a bonus. I'll drink whatever a fellow hands me that he/she has. "I took it,fearing that I might appear,rude,& he proceeded to sell me some 2nd class booze"-stranger in blue suade shoes. Thank you,very mush...:tank:

...I'm tired of filling the bosses bags with bread...

Last edited by a moderator:
A beer connoisseur means nothing to me, a cicerone on the other hand will make me pay a little attention.

I don't know- I sort of like it.

I mean, if I say "I love beer!" I have people handing me Rolling Rock as a "great beer". If I say, "I love craft beer!", people think I want two Rolling Rocks.

Nope. They'll think you want three Rolling Rocks.

I like to see myself as a beer enthusiast. I'm enthusiastic about having a great beer.

I get a lot of "so-and-so would really like your beer! They drink Killian's/Amber Bock/Corona/BL Lime!" and a small piece of me becomes very offended. not for long though.

I refer to some people as beer common-sewers. They are the ones that soak up all your homebrew but really don't know the difference and would be just as happy getting buzzed on something else.

It's also why I greatly prefer the term "craft" beer to "artisanal." What I do isn't art, and I'm not an artist. I'm a craftsman and this is my craft. It's hard work over a long period of time to gain expertise; to be able to generate an end product which is useful and has value to others exactly as I designed it.
Actually, "artisanal" is the French word for "craft". If this was referring to art, the term would be "artistique". Still, using a French word for any food related stuff sounds overly posh to me.
This being said, brewing beer has all the components needed to be defined as an art.

I prefer "beer geek" myself as well.

And I look at brewing the same way I look at cooking, brewing a spectacular beer that's truly your own requires blend of art and craft. The artistic comes in envisioning the final product you want, the craft in having the technical expertise and understanding of the underlying science to consistently execute it.

Love all the responses -- thank you. I've been very curious what my fellow homebrewers encounter.

Like I said, I'm happy to share, and I'm happy it comes up in conversation - but I like the word "enthusiast."

Yeah. "I like beer." This sums it up. And I've absolutely no qualms with admitting I appreciate even the big guys. A couple Rolling Rocks, some Coors Banquet, even a Bud Light or two has its place. What a silly, snobby hobby brewing would become if we all pretentiously judged others for not "understanding" us. Yeesh...

That's all I'm saying - just tell me you like beer.

and I'm happy it comes up in conversation - but I like the word "enthusiast."

But that's just nitpicking a word because you think it sounds better or more "appropriate". IMO the last thing we need is more "PC (politically correct) wording" to appease everyone. We're beer makers/drinkers, out of everyone I'd think we would be more chill about such things. :D

Rev.

But that's just nitpicking a word because you think it sounds better or more "appropriate". IMO the last thing we need is more "PC (politically correct) wording" to appease everyone. We're beer makers/drinkers, out of everyone I'd think we would be more chill about such things. :D

Rev.

Oh yeah, it's nitpicking. But this is just a conversation - I would never tell people what I think they should call themselves.

Personally, I hear a lot of jargon, but I appreciate it most when I get referenced as a Brewer. When people that don't brew talk to me about brewing, they hear my passion and knowledge about how it's made, styles, techniques, etc.

I drink, trade, and follow a lot of craft beer/breweries too, but nothing is more rewarding than having people complement your own beer and ask about it with genuine interest.

My question is....Why does she call him a connoisseur? It could be because he orders many different beer styles when they're out, or it could be because he had Miller 64, Coor's, AND Bud light lime in his fridge.

I refer to myself as a beer geek, and I brew beer at home.
I enjoy having people try my beer and have some opinion about it, whether they like it, hate it, or something else. People don't have to be into beer to be my friends, many aren't into beer. I save the beer for someone else. Beer is about being social, and people are entitled to their opinions about it, and to refer to themselves or someone they know however they want if you ask me. Some who refer to themselves as aficionados or connoisseurs have no clue about it, but that's fine by me. It just means they like talking about beer more than the average person.
-(I had to spell check to get the correct spelling for 'aficionados' and 'connoisseurs')

Actually, "artisanal" is the French word for "craft". If this was referring to art, the term would be "artistique". Still, using a French word for any food related stuff sounds overly posh to me.
This being said, brewing beer has all the components needed to be defined as an art.

Quite right- glad somebody knows the distinction. I was referring to the more popular usage of the term which is, as you say, quite posh.

I had to spell check to get the correct spelling for 'aficionados' and 'connoisseurs'

Guilty

Back