Poperings Hommelbier esque clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevans

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their hand at making a beer similar to Poperings Hommel Beer? I found the recipe below from another forum. It is supposedly from someone who has chatted with the brewers of this beer so I have high hopes. The only modification I was thinking of was reducing the late hops as by the time this beer in a green bottle gets state side I'm sure if has lost at least some of its fresh hop flavor/aroma.

--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs 12.0 ozPilsener (Maasland) (2.8 SRM) Grain 86.87 %
12.0 oz Munich 15 - Dingemans (6.5 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
8.0 oz Malted Wheat (Maasland) (5.1 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
6.0 oz Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 3.03 %
1.00 oz Brewers Gold (Maasland) [6.90 %] (75 min)Hops 24.7 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings (Maasland) [3.70 %] (10 Hops 2.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz (Maasland) [2.90 %] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings (Maasland) [3.70 %] Dry Hop -
0.75 oz Saaz (Maasland) [2.90 %] Dry Hop -

I absolutely love this beer. Have only had it on draft from Cicero's in St. Louis. Both the normal and the dry hopped versions are great! I also love Perennial's Hommel, which is a bit more agressive, more americanized version. I am planning to make a hommel as soon as i can find or craft a recipe. Van Eecke brewery makes some fantastically balanced and beautifully crafted beers, both under the Poepering's Hommel and the Kapittel line. We were just introduced to them a few weeks ago at Cicero's beer school, a great program i try to never miss.

I can't really comment on this recipe other than their export manager said that this beer has saphir and hallertau hops, but the website says it has challenger, brewers gold, and hallertau. He may have said that the dry hopped one used saphir.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering about a hommelbier clone myself, according to Michael Jackson, the IBUs shoul be aroung 40, the hops are Brewers Gold and Hallertauer and the malts are pale winter and summer pale malts and it´s primed with white sugar.... interesting

Latest posts

Back