Schlafly Tripel - Anyone have a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
I just tried this beer and that is ranking up pretty close to the Allagash Curieux (Allagash is still better) and I'm thinking I want to make it. A quick google search only shows that some people have made it but I can't find the recipe anywhere. Would really appreciate any help here.

Jeff

Just pulling the recipe from the ingredients list on their site. You can start with this and tweak it.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Tripel Clone
Brewer: DVD
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 10.34 gal
Post Boil Volume: 8.32 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.06 gal
Estimated OG: 1.083 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 2 5.5 %
4 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3 14.5 %
1.00 oz Marynka [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 11.6 IBUs
1.50 oz Lublin [5.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 9.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 6 2.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [35.49 ml Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 27 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 29.38 qt of water at 165.1 F 150.0 F 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.90gal, 5.42gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Hey guys - with help from the guys over at Midwest Supplies, here's what we've got. Any input? Kind of insane that it's 24lbs of extract in it (and 4lbs of sugar). I've never done a 1 gallon boil and added that much before.

Also, what do we think about the fermenting times? I was thinking around 2 months in primary and 2 in secondary.

1.5 lbs Carapils steep in one gallon separately at 155F for 30 mins then add
4 6lb jugs of Gold LME or 20lbs Golden Light DME
4lbs Corn Sugar (add at the same time as extract)

1oz Maryrnka (Czech Saaz is a good sub.) @ 60 mins
1oz Lublin (Sterling hops for sub.) @ 45 mins
1 oz Hallertau @ 10 mins

2 pkgs. White Labs Abbey Ale #530 or Wyeast #1214

1 gallon boil then divide the whole thing by 10 because the recipe I setup was for a 10 gallon batch. You could probably mix some of the LME with dry to reduce volume. I would also change the hopping schedule to look more like this. Everything I have read on Tripels you only want additions for bittering and aroma. Not really flavor hops.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.4 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 7.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 2 73.2 %
6.4 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3 19.5 %
0.16 oz Marynka [8.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 18.3 IBUs
0.10 oz Lublin [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 7.1 IBUs
0.05 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 1 min Hop 6 0.1 IBUs

Hmm, that's way different than what we came up with. What we had was actually wrong. The math was off and so we had this for a 5 gallon cook:

0.75 lbs Carapils seep in one gallon separately at 155F for 30 mins then add
7.7lbs Golden Light DME
2lbs Corn Sugar (add at the same time as extract)

0.5oz Maryrnka (Czech Saaz is a good sub.) @ 60 mins
0.75oz Lublin (Sterling hops for sub.) @ 45 mins
0.5oz Hallertau @ 10 mins

2 pkgs. White Labs Abbey Ale #530 or Wyeast #1214

Why is yours so different? i.e. the original recipe called for 4lbs of sugar for a 10 gallon cook and you're saying only 6.4oz. Also, if only doing a 1 gallon seep to start with, how do you get it to 5 gallons? I'm very confused right now.

I seen 1 gallon boil and thought you were wanting this scaled to a 1 gallon batch. That is why mine looks so different. I misunderstood your intent.

Actually I think this changed again. From what I was told, when it comes to the steeping grains you don't want to do that in the whole 10 gallons because you can extract tannins and other stuff from the grains that will affect the beer negatively. You want to steep them in a separate pot in just a gallon and add them when you are adding the extract and sugar. I don't know that this is the case since I'm doing a 5 gallon cook.

Not really sure on steeping and tannin extraction so someone familiar with this method may be able to chime in. For a 5 gallon batch here are the numbers I came up with

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 7.3 %
7 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 2 73.2 %
2 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3 19.5 %
0.75 oz Marynka [8.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 18.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Lublin [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 7.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 6 0.1 IBUs

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

So I took a straw and took a sip of this yesterday - WOW. This is going to be a fantastic beer. It very closely resembles the Allagash Curieux clone I did a while back. Right now there is very little hints of alcohol in the taste but the flavor is delicious. One more month in the secondary and I'm bottling.

Wow, I can't believe they use cara-pils in a tripel. Can't imagine it's more than 2-3% tops. I'm guessing sugar is probably in the 15-18% area. Tripels should be dry. You don't need body in a tripel. DME is 10-15% carapils so I would drop the cpils entirely when doing extract.

I agree on the sugar amount although I always try to keep it under 16% due to the possibility of cider like off flavors I read about. With my Golden Monkey clone I also tried a method I heard and that was take the sugar and put it in after primary fermentation was about finished. Someone said it is easier for the yeast to finish the maltose before adding simpler sugars. I also use a 50/50 mix of beet/corn sugar for my tripels. I have noticed a difference doing that.

That is interesting they have that much carapils usage in dme. I guess I learn something new every day. I brew all grain including starter wort so don't use extract anymore.

That is great to hear that the first sampling is a good one. A tripel done correctly though is dangerous :drunk: but awesome. One of my absolute favorites.

Question to the experts on the interwebs: do you think I'll need to pitch yeast to get this carbonated? Or do you think there was enough sugar/yeast to carbonate it just by adding the priming sugar? I'm bottling this on Sunday!

I usually keg but have bottled a tripel before and did not need to re-pitch.

Well I decided to do it today and that was exactly the case. I added the sugar and immediately the beer started bubbling. I decided to put the top on the bucket and see what was going on. 1 bubble every 6 seconds. So, I let it sit for a few hours until it stopped and then bottled. I'm still pretty nervous that they are going to explode. I have them in boxes in the bathtub in case they do. I'm just worried if they don't explode that they are going to geyser on me. I may just empty all of the bottles and keg it and then put the PSI to 1-2lbs and let it trickle into the bottles.

Any thoughts?

Back