Agar for yeast slants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpavlik22

Reaction score
I have been washing and saving yeast for a while now. I would like to start making slants now to save on fridge space and for longer term storage. I read the sticky on here and understand it pretty well.

So my question:
I see there is powdered agar & flaked agar. Any major difference for the use of making slants? Do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks.

I use the stuff from the local chinese supermarket. I've gotten it in "logs" and in string form. Im sure it all melts the same.

Given the option between the different types i would pick powdered agar over any others... its easy to measure, incorperate, and stores nicely.

that being said, id use any other form in a pinch.

dan

powdered is my agar of choice, much easier to measure. don't by it from science/homebrew shop much cheaper to Japanese/Chinese food store when i went and got my supply I had to ask someone who spoke Japanese to translate the writing as there was nothing in English on the pack. For the record this is the what Japanese for agar is... apparently.
P1000058.JPG

I would also go with powered.

*IF* you feeling really lazy, search amazon.com for YPD. I believe they sell ready made slants.

Back