Temperature when bottling "lite" lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglasbarbin

Reaction score
Against my better judgement, I decided to try my luck with a "lite" beer. 2-row barley, fairly high percentage of flaked corn, hopped with Williamette...nothing too unusual. I used dry yeast (Saflager W34/70) for this one, and put it in primary for somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks at 45ºF or so. A little on the cold side, I know, but I have to do it in my beer fridge since I don't have a fermentation chamber. After that, I racked it to secondary, where it has been sitting for 2 weeks and counting. Now, I know that I probably need to do a diacetyl rest before bottling. But I have the following question: is it ok to bottle it and let it sit at room temperature (~70ºF ambient) for a couple of weeks, then put the bottles in the fridge to lager? I figure this would be kind of like a diacetyl rest. Also, I have no idea where I am going to lager all of these bottles, as my fridge won't hold all of them at one time. Ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Would it hurt anything to let the bottles carb at room temperature for a week or two, then lager them in the fridge? That would be easier for me, otherwise I have to do some creative organizing in my fridge. I don't want to end up with California Common/Steam beer though, so if that's going to happen, I will just keep the brew refrigerated the whole time (except for the diacetyl rest).

Back