rescue ideas for wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbly_bob

Reaction score
Hello

doctor I have a problem

I have 25 bottles of Kenridge classic "cabernet sauvignon" that I bottled in January -- I made a mistake of adding a bit to much of sodium metabisulphite before bottling. When I sampled a bottle just after bottling it had a real strong sulphur nose to it -- now it has mellowed a bit and has a slight burnt match/sulphur nose to it which is not nice -- the thing is it tastes really really good.

Does anyone know if this sulphur nose will ever disappear??

I was thinking of emptying all 25 bottles back into a carboy and somehow treating it before rebottling.

any thoughts would be highly welcome

thanks

It'll slowly disapate over a year or two. While you wait, you can always just decant the wine about an hour or two before serving. That will help, and you should lose any of the sulfur nose.

It'll slowly disapate over a year or two. While you wait, you can always just decant the wine about an hour or two before serving. That will help, and you should lose any of the sulfur nose.

I was gonna suggest the same...My hard lemonade( I know its not wine) I had to start yeast three different times to get it to work.. It tastes really good but has a NASTY smell from the yeast even though I cleared it nicely.. The longer it sets in the glass the less the smell seems to be.

Thanks for feedback guys -- 2 years -- gulp --

I was thinking maybe pouring out the bottles -- oxygenating for a day or two -- then re bottling -- may reduce the sulphur -- I heard somewhere that oxygen binds with sulphur.

I usually re-use my bottles every 6 months or so -- so 2 years is a bit long for me -- although I always keep a couple of bottles back.

cheers

Latest posts

Back