Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer and Managing Beer Gut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Well, if you are reading this it is obvious that you have a sincere interest in beer. More than the average person, maybe even an obsession? :mug: Personally, I love all things beer, the history of it, the flavor, the smell, the process, the places I drink it, the people I drink it with, the memories I associate with the beers and good times. You all know where I am coming from.

So with my affinity for beer blooming into hombreweing and learning way more about beer than I ever thought I would know, comes this problem: excess caloric intake.

I am a workout fanatic, powerlifter, ex football guy..etc..etc.. I lift weights and do cardio 5 days a week..I am 30 years old and bench press over 400 pounds. By most measures I am in great shape.

I absolutely can't give up drinking beer, but I know that my taste for full flavored, delicious craft beers is certainly adding to my waistline. I usually like to have 2 beers an evening and on a weekend day I'll drink maybe 4-6 through the course of the day. I am not a binge drinker or anything stupid like that, but beer is my favorite beverage. If SWMBO wouldn't complain I would drink stout for breakfast:mug:

Anyways, I have found that all I can do is try to limit my beer drinking and I have started an initiative to no longer drink beer every night of the week. only on Fridays and Saturdays. I have over 400 bottles of beer conditioning........man for depressing! Maybe I should just gift some? Or I should just be happy with my ponch!

Just cut a few calories you'd usually eat - like desert or cheese (on hamburgers, potatoes, etc). Or you could up the cardio.

I was just saying the other night, I need to brew a lighter beer. Although I think I might just up my cardio and enjoy my brews.

Just cut a few calories you'd usually eat - like desert or cheese (on hamburgers, potatoes, etc). Or you could up the cardio.

I was just saying the other night, I need to brew a lighter beer. Although I think I might just up my cardio and enjoy my brews.

I already follow a strict body building style of diet, and do 5-7 15-30 minute HIIT sessions of cardio a week. The beers can add 450-700 calories a day to your caloric intake depending on ABV and such. A pint of a nice winter warmer will hit you with 300 cal and a bunch of empty calories. I am starting to think that is almost unrealistic to drink full flavored beer on a consistent basis and maintain 10% or less body fat.

I am starting to think that is almost unrealistic to drink full flavored beer on a consistent basis and maintain 10% or less body fat.

I have heard this from numerous sources. I don't think you can drink beer regularly and expect to be in tip top shape. Many diets tell you to eliminate beer altogether. Like everything with health, though, I think the key is moderation.

Your plan to eliminate beer during the week and only have it during the weekend is a good one, I think. As for your many bottles of beer, invite some people over during the weekend to enjoy your brew as well! You can probably have one on a weekday from time to time, just don't make it a regular practice. I think of beer as an occasional treat, like you would a piece of candy.

I'm trying to scale back a little bit as well, but that may change when I actually start brewing.

I already follow a strict body building style of diet, and do 5-7 15-30 minute HIIT sessions of cardio a week. The beers can add 450-700 calories a day to your caloric intake depending on ABV and such. A pint of a nice winter warmer will hit you with 300 cal and a bunch of empty calories. I am starting to think that is almost unrealistic to drink full flavored beer on a consistent basis and maintain 10% or less body fat.

Well, this is very true. I used to work out crazy like that, I still try to keep decent shape. But no more 5 miles a day for me. Although perhaps you should try brewing some lighter, more sessionable beers. Or like mojo said, limit it to the weekends.

I'm screwed, I'm starting to keg... I figure as long as I eat well and exercise regularly, I'll be just fine, even if i don't look like 1980's Arnold:
conan.jpg

I hear your concerns. I've noticed since I got back into homebrewing ~8 mos ago I feel a little thicker in the belly area. I too am trying not to have a beer a night but, man it's so hard when you know you have a tasty, beautiful smelling "treat" just out in the garage waiting for you to push that tap handle. Plus, I think it's even harder when you know you've created it yourself! I was trying to only have 1 pint a night during the week but now I'm trying to limit to only maybe 1 pint Mon-Wed and just a couple per day Thurs-Sunday. I only work a 4 day week.

The good things in life!:mug:

well if you 30 now then I would say ................... resistance is futile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give in to the beer gut. It is only a matter of time anyway.

I mean when you weight the options it definately is not worth giving up (or scaling back) homebrew consumption. And if you are employed or have a SWMBO (or worse ...... both) good luck finding time to maintain that vigorous exercise routine.

keep in mind that even though beer doesn't have fat, it will be stored as fat if not used as energy immediately. With that in mind once you ingest alcohol, your body starts working on it to get rid of the toxin and stops working on other things like the food you are eating.

The point, don't eat so much when you drink or if you do, don't go for the triple layer nachos ;)

Mabye 10% body fat is an unrealistic goal. You can have a higher BF and still look good.

I've gotten the beer gut. I also know that if I would do just a little cardio, I would drop some weight quick (but can't get motivated).

If you want a six pack, you really can't drink a 6 pack. I workout 1 1/2 hours a day 6 days a week I'm 5'11 and 200 pounds. I want to lean out a little more for this summer, so I'm cutting my intake of beer. I think about how hard I work at the gym. If I drink 4 of my beers, that's 1 hour on the treadmill..Sucks!! I'm 41, so it's harder than it use to be to stay in shape. I not gonna totally deprive myself. Life's too short and I love my beer. Moderation, I guess is key...

Check out Eat Stop Eat and see if that might help you out.

Basically, you fast for 24 hours which cuts out a days worth of calories. Not as difficult as you might think. I start fasting after eating supper with my family, then eat nothing until supper the next night. Drink as much water as you want/need throughout the day. I fast once or twice a week.

YMMV.

And no, that's not an affiliate link, just passing on some info that might be useful.

It is a very tough call. I eat 5-6 small meals a day, based around protein and healthy carbohydrates. Weight training 5 days a week with cardio as well. I work at a college so I get to use their facilities over my lunch hour or two. It works out great.

The bottom line is that it is just so nice to get off of work and throw back a few pints/bottles with dinner. Those calories add up. For me a pint of delicious beer is alot to work off.

It is nice to see that over folks have the same delima and the opinions are really appreciated. I am just going to keep on brewing, share more of my brews, keep on working out and just watch it a little.

When I started homebrewing I was drinking a lot to empty bottles and then emptying them over and over as I refilled them. I put on some weight. I tried to clean up my diet and maximize my workout time. Part of that, unfortunately, was giving up the daily drinking (even though I would only have 1 or 2) because I don't need the carbs at night. Now I only drink on the weekends and try to limit it. I've cut 12 pounds in a little less than a month. Definitely worth it.

Yes, since starting homebrewing/beer loving (4 months or so) I have gained 5-10 pounds easy. Im 6-3 205 and have been having trouble staying under 210+. It's all around the waist. I exercise a few times a week. I stopped having them during the week which helps but weekend indulgence doesn't help at all. Im creeping up on 40 (37) so I really need to start doing something or else it's over. New Years resolution is a six-pack rule per night on Fri/Sat (Normally I can easily put down 10+ over the course of a Saturday at home - and not be bombed - IPA's too). We'll see how realistic that is with 3 cases conditioning in the garage..

BTW, I went to my LHBS on a day when the monthly how-to-brew was taking place. OMG - Beer Gut Heaven. Nasty. First time I felt sick about this "hobby". Also, take a look at some of the pics (Im sure you have seen them) on this site of brew days, beer fests, etc. Not a lot of triathlete's in there if you know what I mean.. No disrespect, Im just sayin...

I think in many ways I'm lucky. I could definitely stand to lose a few pounds especially around my midsection, but I'm still fairly thin (170 lb., 5' 11") considering how much I eat and drink. I drink at least a beer a night and a little more on the weekends, but I eat like I weigh twice what I do. I keep thinking it's going to catch up to me, but it hasn't yet.

All this being said, I think I'm going to cut back on the calories in general and start some cardio, at the very least. I think maybe I'll appreciate beer even more if I have it less frequently.

I think in many ways I'm lucky. I could definitely stand to lose a few pounds especially around my midsection, but I'm still fairly thin (170 lb., 5' 11") considering how much I eat and drink. I drink at least a beer a night and a little more on the weekends, but I eat like I weigh twice what I do. I keep thinking it's going to catch up to me, but it hasn't yet.

All this being said, I think I'm going to cut back on the calories in general and start some cardio, at the very least. I think maybe I'll appreciate beer even more if I have it less frequently.

I was like that when I was in my teens and early 20's, but once i got into my upper level courses of college and subsequently started working full time, I stopped being as active and that, I think, is was what really did me in. I'm changing that... once my sinus infection clears :( I was doing well last year, dropped 10 lbs but then I started traveling to weddings at the end of summer and then holidays came up and it all when to ****.

I really think the best thing anyone can do is just find something to do that isn't sitting on your couch. Get out and take a walk everyday and you'll be better for it.

I'm just like the rest of you guys. I've been in great shape for the past few years, but because of my schedule, I'm only able to make it to the gym at max 4 days a week. Sine this is my situation, you have to balance your diet. I've stopped drinking beer during the week for a while now and I have cut my meal size down a bit. All in all, I'm not 10% body fat, but I am in good shape.

Simple really: if you eat too many calories and don't get yer ass up off the couch, you will get a beer belly. Most fat people don't know how to exercise--I know, I come from a very long line of very fat people. I weighed almost 300 lbs at 6' in H.S. and then starting weight training and exercise. Got my weight down to 225, and that's when the chicks started noticing me.

For starters, men should be working out at LEAST 3 days a week to maintain fitness, 4-5 if your goal is to drop weight.

A workout should typically consist of at least 30 minutes of cardio and at least 30 minutes of resistance training. Free weights are most effective at building muscle mass, but can be a bit intimidating for those with jelly boobs.

Start slow, even a walk if you not very active. A 30 min walk after dinner will DO WONDERS for your metabolism. Got a dog? Take him for a walk.

Don't starve yourself, starvation diets don't work--starve for a week, gain it back in a day.

Also, all week long when I know I am going to be binge drinking, I try to 'save' my calories. Skip on dessert, pass on the second sandwich, or the supersize.

While we're at it, avoid empty calories like french fries and soda.

If one is cautious, they can build up a calorie savings, which can then be splurged on beer on Sundays.

Count your calories--in and out. My sis was on Weight Watchers for a while and lost 100 pounds, for kicks I started a diary log for just one week. When I looked back on that, I was astonished. One beer session (football day) I consumed close to 10,000 calories. While I had no intent of cutting out the beer, it's a good thing to know...and knowing is half the battle.

One beer session (football day) I consumed close to 10,000 calories.

Amazing what one can eat. I went to a NSF summer program while in high school. They effectively had unlimited food, gained 30 pounds in 6 weeks.

For me, portion control is the watch word.

Count your calories--in and out.

I think this is really the key to losing weight for most people (not the OP, as it sounds like he already has a pretty good grasp on his calorie intake and exercise).

Most people really have no idea how many calories they are consuming on a daily basis. Or they think they do, but then are shocked that their guess was way off. Instead of keeping track of their diet and exercise, they just "eat healthy" by getting salads everywhere they go. Well, some of those salads are almost as bad as the chicken sandwich and fries.

I'm a little chubby, but nothing too bad. Once I started keeping track of my calorie intake and burnoff, my weight started dropping slowly but surely. It wasn't easy all the time, but it sure wasn't impossible. If anyone out there has an iPhone or iPod Touch, get a free app off the app store called "Lose It!" It's a pretty easy way of keeping track of your calories.

I am the same age, but my regimen is a bit different than yours. I race Ironman triathlons and 95% of my training is cardio. Even when I do strength training my heart rate is elevated. Basically I will run bike or swim immediately after I will do mainly body weight excercises, decline sit-ups, pull-up, L-ups, push-ups....etc, with no break go from one to the next quickly. I usually stay under 9% body fat (race time (peak) around 6%). If it start getting to a point that the abs are fading I workout harder, not drink less. I do have a very good diet though with lots of vegetables.

I could never lift 400lbs, that is impressive. I am not the guy you will be scared of in a bar for sure 6' 160.

I ride a mtn bike as my main source of exercise. It's super high intensity cardio workout mixed with an adrenaline rush. I can go for a 4-6 hour ride. It's great for you and it's sooo much fun. For you gym guys: when is the last time you spent 4-6 hours working out and afterwords said "That was freaking awesome, lets do it again next weekend" ? I do a big ride pretty much every weekend and then a shorter 1-2 hour ride one day after work.

Beer and mountain biking go hand and hand. I don't know any riders who aren't beer drinkers. Nothing is better then an after ride beer. Except maybe a mid ride beer that you have stashed deep in the woods.

thems fightin words! I'd probably give up beer before the bike. It's a good thing I'm not forced to decide between the 2. Life is great! :)
j/k :D

See you biker guys on the trail all the time and have nothing but respect.

I run the trails with the same kind of passion. The camaraderie and love of beer exists among my group also. A day of pushing the long up hills and flying down the rocky technical downs can make you mighty thirsty. Not to mention, burn a lot of calories.

j/k :D

See you biker guys on the trail all the time and have nothing but respect.

I run the trails with the same kind of passion. The camaraderie and love of beer exists among my group also. A day of pushing up the long up hills and flying down the rocky technical downs can make you mighty thirsty. Not to mention, burn a lot of calories.

I have nothing but respect for the trail runners. You are fast freaking people. I've been passed many times by runners going uphill. Looks painful and therfore impressive.

I am impressed by all of you. I have been blessed/cursed with an extremely high metabolism and a very low Body fat Per.(never been higher than 7). I don't exercise at all but tend to work and play pretty strenously. I have noticed a little loss of muscle tone around my midsection in the last few years (I am 37) but basically weigh the same as when I was 21 (6'6 180lbs). My problem with execising is that I really can't get motivated. I drink a couple beers a night and maybe a 6-12 over a weekend.

I am impressed by all of you. I have been blessed/cursed with an extremely high metabolism and a very low Body fat Per.(never been higher than 7). I don't exercise at all but tend to work and play pretty strenously. I have noticed a little loss of muscle tone around my midsection in the last few years (I am 37) but basically weigh the same as when I was 21 (6'6 180lbs). My problem with execising is that I really can't get motivated. I drink a couple beers a night and maybe a 6-12 over a weekend.

you suck! JK

I started making myself earn my beers. if i want a beer at night i need to do some exercise to earn it. I started making myself run 3-5 miles before i could have a beer and that helped out a lot. Now that the holidays are over i have started cutting back my food intake and uping my gym time.

I am 28 6' 3" and about 215, when i was a 22 yr old college soccer player i was 175 but that was when i was running 8-10 miles a day and training for 2-4 hours. sitting in an office all day handling tech calls doesn't help me much now.

I have tried convincing SWMBO that we need to do more "activities" to burn off this beer, but she hasn't gone for that one yet. :mug:

I ride a mtn bike as my main source of exercise. It's super high intensity cardio workout mixed with an adrenaline rush. I can go for a 4-6 hour ride. It's great for you and it's sooo much fun. For you gym guys: when is the last time you spent 4-6 hours working out and afterwords said "That was freaking awesome, lets do it again next weekend" ? I do a big ride pretty much every weekend and then a shorter 1-2 hour ride one day after work.

Beer and mountain biking go hand and hand. I don't know any riders who aren't beer drinkers. Nothing is better then an after ride beer. Except maybe a mid ride beer that you have stashed deep in the woods.

I agree nothing tastes better after a long trail ride than a beer.

Surprisingly, after all the food and drink during the holidays I was a bit frightened to step on the scale the other day. I've always worked out to some degree, but I did up my workouts significantly within the past few months. I dropped 2 1/2 pounds. Man, I LOVE this new holiday diet!!!

Seriously, I often have a beer or two in the evenings and more on the weekends, but I know in order to do that I have to increase my workouts. I also find that I'll eat a lighter dinner and that helps quite a bit. FYI, don't skip dinner unless you're looking for quite a buzz from those two an evening sessions.

I'm a personal trainer in Portland, Or, so I tend to hear this question a lot.

Honestly, you need to make a choice between drinking every night and being below 10% BF. There are some genetic freaks among us who get both, but they are the exception not the rule. I love beer as much (if not more) as anybody, but for me I had to give up drinking on the weekdays. Obviously there are exceptions here and there, but for the most part I keep my beer out of my fridge until the weekend so I won't be tempted.

HIIT & resistance training are great for burning calories but no matter how much you do, you can't outwork a bad diet. If you can be comfortable with a little extra weight on your belt, then it is OK to keep drinking like you are. It's all about which is more important to you, your appearance or your beer.

HIIT & resistance training are great for burning calories but no matter how much you do, you can't outwork a bad diet.

I think looking at your overall diet is a key part of the whole thing as well. I splurge and fall short some time in that regard, but in general I try to be concious of how much and what I'm eating so that by also working out regularly I can splurge on a meal every once in a while and drink my beer without massive guilt. I'm happy with my numbers and my doctor seems satisfied with them.

I'm a personal trainer in Portland, Or . . . It's all about which is more important to you, your appearance or your beer.
This is total BS. After you take individual metabolism into account, it’s calories in / calories out. It all comes down to choices. A good craft brew is 200-300 calories. If you put in an extra 2-3 miles you’ll break even. If you cheat, your waistline will grow. It’s not a matter of being a genetic freak. It all about self control and compromise. I choose to put in the extra miles and have the beer.

And if you enjoy the extra miles, you get to have your cake (beer) and eat (drink) it too.

Disclaimer:
I’m one of those guys who enjoys spending all day dragging my sweaty butt up and down the hills through the woods. A genetic freak, no. Just a freak!

Back