No one can fill my CO2 Tank...:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
Ok, so I went everywhere today looking for someone to fill my CO2 tank and it seems as if no one can do it.

The one place that offered fills up paintball tanks, and they tried, but they can not make a seal to my tank with the hook up they use for paintball tanks.

I tried Welding Shops, Refrigeration shop, LHBS, Liquid Air, and finally the place that tried to fill it up.

So what are my options?? Maybe I need to go with a paintball tank??

This is my worst nightmare...I was hoping to get this going for my halloween party, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

The get them from Liquid Air, I went there, and they do swaps, on the huge CO2 tanks, and can send my tank to the filling plant in Montreal, to get it filled, but they said it can take months.

Well that's pretty stupid. You could send out the big tank but in the mean time do a 20oz paintball tank. That should last you 1 or 2 kegs.

I am sure it isn't as easy as just buying a Paintball tank....looks like the regulator and everything will need to be changed.

Yup, it is! You just need a pinvalve adapter.

pinvalveADAPTERcomplete.jpg

hhhmmmm....Now if I could get a pin valve adapter anywhere but here, I would be all set.

I wonder how fast KegConnection could get one to me??? It would probably still take a week or two...but that is still before halloween, and I could Naturally carb my kegs, and they would still be ready by Halloween, right?

hhhmmmm....Now if I could get a pin valve adapter anywhere but here, I would be all set.

I wonder how fast KegConnection could get one to me??? It would probably still take a week or two...but that is still before halloween, and I could Naturally carb my kegs, and they would still be ready by Halloween, right?

Check with the paintball shop to see if they have a replacement valve that is an on/off and not a pin valve. A lot of players prefer those over the pin valve and when I played I had some of my tanks changed over.

Yeah it would work perfect. I have one and I would use it but it needs to be hydroed. They are pretty easy to replace yourself if you order it online. All you need is a propane torch and some loctite. A new valve would probably be easier for you to get than that adapter.

I wonder what the place that refills paintball tanks would need to adapt their big cylinder to my 5 pound tank??? The threads on their adapter fit mine, but where it was set up for a pin valve, it would not fill mine. I would rather find a way to get mine filled than buy a paintball tank.

I really don't want to spend $55 on a Paintball tank, and still have to order the pin valve adapter for my regulator for $15 + shipping. According the SWMBO I am over budget already, and she is getting ticked off.

Had this same issue when I went to fill my 5 lb tank. I went many places and they could not get a seal to my tank to fill it up. I eventually went to a hardware store that filled paintball tanks and the shop owner basically pulled a black rubber washer off of the shelf and stuck it in the end of his valve, hooked my tank up tight to the valve and walla! he filled er up! I think he ended up charging me 15.00 for the fill.

I was wondering if a black rubber washer would work....the guy at the refill place said he didn't think it would work, maybe I will go back and try again but take a washer and some teflon tape with me.

Another possible option would be what is called a remote line for a paintball tank. Walmart would probably carry them. It pretty much tubing so that you can carry your paintball tank on your back and connect it into the gun. Most of them do not have pin valves on the gun (in your case reg) end but do engage the pin on the tank side.

I really don't want to spend $55 on a Paintball tank, and still have to order the pin valve adapter for my regulator for $15 + shipping. According the SWMBO I am over budget already, and she is getting ticked off.

$55 for a tank??????????? It really shouldn't be more than 20.

I thought i've seen a connector line you can buy for filling a tank from another....seen it linked somewhere on here but can't seem to find it. anyone else see them, or maybe i'm dreaming???

try a welding supply place, or even you local HB shop, I have 20 lb tanks and just change the tanks out cost like $12

He has tried all of that. He lives pretty much in the middle of nowhere somewhere in canada.

I would say go Big and just do exchanges.

Yup, that's your problem right there. I had the same issue even in a big town. The co2 outfitters just dont deal with these small bottles enough to have any 5# bottles stocked to do a trade. Even less of them do fills. So you might want to ask some of your welding/gas suppliers if you can trade your 5# for a 20# bottle , they may offer you some trade in value.

I bought a 20oz tank from the guy who tried to fill my 5# tank. He still charged me walmart's price, but that is with it filled up.

This town sucks. I am heading to Ottawa in a month and will get my 5# tank filled while I am out. I need to get this set up for Halloween.

How long will a 20oz tank last for two kegs if I naturally carb the beer?

The worst thing about all of this, is we tried the rubber washer thing and it worked, but the guy never had enough gas to get any into my tank. This town is brutal.

Are you talking big tanks as in 100# or big as in20#? I swap a 20# tank with AirGas for $12US at the welding supply. I did have to buy a tank first to swap with, but after that it has been super easy.

5# tanks look handy but always turn out to be a pain in the arse, IMO.

I am talking the big 100# tanks, they don't even have any 20# ones in town anywhere.

I have my problem solved for now...I am going to look into getting a 20# tank when I go to Ottawa. That should last me the whole year anyway with 2 kegs, and maybe I will get another when I go in the spring.

Another crappy thing that just happened....I left the house for 10 minutes to drop my daughter off at Dance class and while I was gone UPS showed up with my Love Controller...booooooo...Now I have to wait until Friday to rig it all up....this is not my day.

The worst thing about all of this, is we tried the rubber washer thing and it worked, but the guy never had enough gas to get any into my tank. This town is brutal.

Good to see it would at least work for you to, I have to have mine refilled again here in a week or two hope the shop has enough gas to fill me up! Good luck on getting your tank filled!

hey dude just last week in a pinch i did this.

i took two of my regulators, and on one remove the high presser gauge,, and on the second one I removed the tank stem , ok then I took the tank stem and screwed it in to where the high presser gauge came out of the first regulator.

so at this point i have a regulator with two tank stem connetors and one low presser gauge and an out put,

i know the guy that owns the county store near my house and I asked if i could barrow one of his tanks.

i put my take in the freeze to chill it and then hooked both tanks up to the regulator, then i turned the big barrowed tank upside down , i then opened the valve on my tank, and then opened the valve on the upside down barrowed tank,
liquid CO2 flowed out of the upside down tank in to my tank.

it worked great. you can do the same thing. or just get the adaptor for the pain ball shop so thay can fill your tank, the fittign will just cost a few bucks and if you give it to them i am sure they would be happy to be your filling station.

Actually when I was there yesterday, they said it isn't worth there while to do it anymore and that this might be their last tank of CO2. The business is not there for CO2 fill ups, and it is wasted space they can use for other things.

Actually when I was there yesterday, they said it isn't worth there while to do it anymore and that this might be their last tank of CO2. The business is not there for CO2 fill ups, and it is wasted space they can use for other things.

Sounds like a nitch market that needs to be filled.

Get a 100# tank and do your own fills. :)

Back