Where to find schematics for JD 950 tractor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I have a John Deere 950 tractor that won't start sometimes (often) and some days not at all. It is for sure something electrical as the starter doesn’t even crank but when it does it starts right up. When I turn the key I can hear a relay close but that is all, just as if it were still in gear. I took out all the neutral safety switches and checked them with a meter and they are working properly. I can usually get it to start eventually by playing with the shifters or banging the cover but not always and it is getting worse. Been doing this for about 2 years.

Bottom line is I would like a schematic to help me troubleshoot but all I find is links to buy them. I have the manual but it does not get into details. Since I am busy and use only a few times a week I don't want to tear it apart unless I know what I am looking for. Took cover off dashboard and have no idea where wires are going.

I went to cut grass this weekend and it wouldn't start, grass is getting high.

Let me rephrase: it REALLY sounds like a bad starter solenoid. Price the part at a local shop. If it's cheap, replace it. If it's expensive, keep researching.

It sounds like a bad starter solenoid.

Tractor started every time last two days making it hard to troubleshoot further, but I decided to call my local John Deere dealer and get a price on a new starter since it appears the solenoid is part of the starter, $499 :(. Parts sent me to service but the guy had no more suggestions except he did offer to fax me the schematics so I can meter out the wiring before trying the starter. I think I will look into rebuilding it myself if I do decide I need to replace it.

$499 and it is REBUILT!!!! :(

They just came, really cool of them! He not only sent the schematics he sent diagrams of the wiring harnesses (early and late models just in case) as well as details how the starting system functions, types of problems (including mine) and detailed steps to troubleshoot. This stuff must be right from the manuals the service techs use. I already learned exactly what triggers the safety neutral switch on the transmission. It is not the gear shifter but the high/low shifter. No more fiddling around with the shifter to try and get it started.

Latest posts

Back