My first Berliner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my Berliner is ready fo bottling, the souring process was suprisingly long - 6 months!; but eventually it is sour enough to pass as Berliner Weisse.

I have a question about further processing - does the Lactobaccilus flocculate and leave some kind of "yeast cake" that I can reuse for souring another batch of beer (like Oud Bruin for instance) ?

I have a question about further processing - does the Lactobaccilus flocculate and leave some kind of "yeast cake" that I can reuse for souring another batch of beer (like Oud Bruin for instance) ?

Nobody answered, so I had to do my own experiment. I collected some slurry from Berliner Weisse secondary vessel, and I added it to small portion of hopped wort (~25 IBU). The yeast started working and fermented the wort, but it was not sour at all, probably lacto can't stand this much IBUs. So I dind'n use it in my Oud Bruin, I pitched WLP Belgian Sour Mix I instead.

However, I made another batch of Berliner Weisse and I pitched this lacto-infected slurry. It works like charm, the pellicle formed right away, the fermentor smells like yoghurt, I hope this time I will get better (more sour) results.

Back