Ranco 2 Stage Settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtwerner

Reaction score
I just got a Ranco Two Stage Temperature Control for my fermentation cooler/heating pad. I was wondering if setting both circuit 1 (cooling) and circuit 2 (heating) at the same temperature setpoint with the differentials both at 1 degree would be a bad idea. Do any of you do this? Will it make my compressor cycle too frequently? What do you think the ideal settings for the Ranco would be?

Thanks,

Tommy :mug:

Bad idea, very bad idea. The setpoints should differ by the combined differentials. What will happen if they are too close? The cooling kicks in, shuts off, then the residual coolant over-shoots the dead-band, causing the heat to switch on.

I'd set them at least 5F apart.

I have been setting mine 1 degree apart with 1 degree differential.

So, 67/1/68/1.

But, that means the temperature could vary from 66 to 69.

I have been pondering setting them the same.

I'm using the controller on a B3 cooled/heated fermenter that doesn't use a compressor, but uses cooling plates and a heat wrap. Would that make a difference?

Okay, so I finally got my 2 stage controller hooked up to my fermentation refrigerator and wanted to run my temp settings by you all.
I set the cold point at 72 with a 3 degree differential and I set my heater at 66 with a 3 degree differential. I am currently testing this out on a starter sitting on a stir plate with the temp probe in it (sanitized).

Any critique from the veterans here? I plan to brew tomorrow so any responses before than are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: So after seeing another thread on this matter at another forum I see someone set the cold point at 70 with 2 degree swing and hot point at 68 with 2 degree swing. Will try this, I realize on a 5.25 gallon batch that the compressor will not cycle on too much because of the thermal mass. If I am wrong tell me. I won't be offended.

Back