If I don't stop making recipes instead of working...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Maybe I need an intervention. Anyway... as usual, commend or berate as you see fit.

Code:
[B]BernerBrau American Rye[/B]

Type: Partial Mash (using DeathBrewer's steep/sparge techniques)
Volume: 5 gal

Grains:

4# Rye Malt
1# Flaked Rye
1# Rice Hulls 
0.5# Vienna Malt
0.5# CaraPils

Extract (added last 15min of boil):

3# Briess Pilsen Light DME

Hops:

0.5oz Northern Brewer @60
0.5oz Northern Brewer @30
1oz Northern Brewer @Flameout

Finings:

1tsp Irish Moss, last 15 min of boil

Priming:

2/3c Corn Sugar

Fermentation:

1pkg US-05
3 weeks primary
3 weeks bottle aging

Estimates:

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.3%
IBU: 22
SRM: 5

Only one thing is curiously missing and you will kick yourself if you leave it out- RICE HULLS. All that rye will do bad things for your sparge. :D

I'll probably do a two step partial mash -- 60 minutes at 122F and 60 at 155F -- to make the rye happy.

I'll probably do a two step partial mash -- 60 minutes at 122F and 60 at 155F to make the rye happy.

What are you trying to achieve with the multi-step? My Rabbit Run Rye Ale (in my pull-down) does a single-step infusion- and it's my favorite beer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mash_ingredients#Rye said:
the use of rye in brewing is considered difficult as rye lacks a hull (like wheat) and contains large quantities of beta-glucans compared to other grains; these long-chain sugars can leach out during a mash, creating a sticky gelatinous gum in the mash tun, and as a result brewing with rye requires a long, thorough beta-glucanase rest.
Mash ingredients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just following that advice...

Back