Pre Hurricane Hop Harvest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Well if I'm gonna have a hop harvest this year, tomorrow's the day! I'm gonna harvest tomorrow, pickup anything outside that could be blown into the house! I'm gonna leave what's not close to ready and hope it doesn't get blown all over town.

I'll post pic next week.

Any of my fellow southerners pulling in a pre-hurricane harvest?

Schlante,
Phillip

I am 110 miles from the coast and the eye of the storm is supposed to pass within 40 miles of me this morning while it is still Cat 3 strength.

I'm on the coast of MS but I didn't have anything worth harvesting. all of mine are first year plants; two of which nearly died off when my watering system failed and the plants didn't get water for about a week. They survived only to have their strings break in the wind. I only have a week or so before i move so i am not sure if i will string it back up or not

Nah Clinton's not too close, about 100 miles. We were lucky, we had 40 MPH winds and not much else. Unlike Katrina which was still a Cat. 2 when it blew through!

Thought I'd share some pics of this years hop harvest and some of the plants pre harvest.

PHTO0023.jpg

This is the Mississippi Golding plant which grew about 20' in it's first year.

MisisipiGoldings.jpg

MS Goldings

CascadeBucket.jpg

1/2 Gallon of harvested Cascade

CascadeBIG.jpg

Big Cascade hops

Well that's it.... growing hops is as easy as can be! These are all first year plants so the harvest isn't much. But next year with all 6 hills planted and an extra year on 3 of the hills, I expect a bumper crop. This years hops will be used for late addition/dry hopping.

Schlante,
Phillip

Back