dead yeast not dead -- how to cultivate and preserve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
I posted earlier about a liquid yeast that arrived here after 3 weeks in transit. I made a starter for it Friday night to see if I could use it Saturday night in a batch of dopplebock. Zero activity, nada, nichts, etc.

I'm a lazy fellow, and couldn't be bothered to dump it out, but I went ahead and made my beer with a packet of dried yeast.

Monday night (day 3) I took a close look at the starter and can see some tiny bubbles making their way to the top.:mug: You have to look closely, but they're there. Now I'm thinking since these liquid yeasts are suppose to be better, and I can't really get them in here due to transit times, maybe I should work on cultivating this yeast and preserving it for a future batch. The question is, what would be the best way to do this?

I thought about making another cup or so of boiled water & DME and adding the yeast fuel we've been discussing in the other thread. What suggestions do you all have? If that is successful, what is the best way of preserving it until my next lager?

The yeast was a wyeast lager yeast.

I thought about making another cup or so of boiled water & DME and adding the yeast fuel we've been discussing in the other thread. What suggestions do you all have? If that is successful, what is the best way of preserving it until my next lager?

The yeast was a wyeast lager yeast.

I have been having a great deal of fun innoculating agar slants from liquid yeast packs (and pitching the remainder into the batch-at-hand). I have not innoculated from a starter for hygiene reasons.

I bet you could just refrigerate the whole starter and hit it with the new wort/energizer a couple of days before the next lager run.

Yes, that first reply with link sounds like an interesting possible long-term solution for me, but getting the equipment might be troublesome for me here.

Since this is a bock yeast I'm guessing it will probably be a couple of months before I'm ready to use it.

If I wanted to just store my starter in the fridge, what would be the best way to do so? I have mason jars and beer bottles at my disposal, but would the starter need to be able to breath? Or wait until the activity has more or less stopped and then cap it and store it? How long can it be stored for?

I wash my yeast and then save it for months. You can store for up to a year in a fridge. I wold build it up some, let it settle out, then follow the yeast washing thread on here. I cultured pacman from a bottle of Rogue and am using to to ferment now and then I will get 4 conatiners out of it for additional batches. I will also wash those batches to keep it going. I store in mason jars.

I wash my yeast and then save it for months. You can store for up to a year in a fridge. I wold build it up some, let it settle out, then follow the yeast washing thread on here. I cultured pacman from a bottle of Rogue and am using to to ferment now and then I will get 4 conatiners out of it for additional batches. I will also wash those batches to keep it going. I store in mason jars.

I wash my yeast too and have had the yeastie taste come through on some batches. From what I was told, the yeast cells will start to die after just 7-14 days. I would have my washed yeast sitting for a month or so and when I was pitching, I was adding dead yeast cells to my wort!

If you notice on white labs vials they have expiration dates and recommend to do a starter after that date. The dead yeast cells fall to the bottom and the good yeast remains on top (below the beer). This exact idea that Hoosierbrewer talks about was proposed to me: kick start your starter! Basically, do a starter for your washed yeast and let it sit. Wash it again (this time your getting the healthy active yeast) and make another starter with it. Then pitch this second starter into your main batch. Voila! you've just gotten rid of the dead yeast cells!

Latest posts

Back