Barley Crusher on the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

Reaction score
After plenty of review on differnt threads here I ordered a Barley Crusher. Can't wait to start using it. When it gets here I will be making my 5th AG. I found that the HBS grain mill does not do a good crush. First three AG averaged 55-60% fourth AG I ran through there mill twice and got 70% so now I am hopping to get 75-80%. Is this out of line to hope for? What size opening seems to work the best? I am also going to get a feeler gauge to keep better track of distance.

plumber said:
After plenty of review on differnt threads here I ordered a Barley Crusher. Can't wait to start using it. When it gets here I will be making my 5th AG. I found that the HBS grain mill does not do a good crush. First three AG averaged 55-60% fourth AG I ran through there mill twice and got 70% so now I am hopping to get 75-80%. Is this out of line to hope for? What size opening seems to work the best? I am also going to get a feeler gauge to keep better track of distance.

I will be picking up my BC in the next week or so as well. I have high hopes for it and wish you the best.

But, I do have to wonder if there is more to this than a BC. I will certainly look forward to it helping me to increase the chances of my making great beer, a part of me still wonders if I also need to contribute added value. :)

plumber said:
If you batch sparge one of the best things you can do to increase efficiency is a better crush. I bet your will see it rise into the 70's. I did a couple at factory settings and then slightly decreased the gap and still have not had a problem in mashing\sparging.

Blender said:
If you batch sparge one of the best things you can do to increase efficiency is a better crush. I bet your will see it rise into the 70's. I did a couple at factory settings and then slightly decreased the gap and still have not had a problem in mashing\sparging.

I second that... I fly sparge, but still, making a change to my crush pushed me from the 60's to the high 80's on efficiency... just from the crush.

Now of course there are a myrid of reasons why a batch might not reach it's full potential, but nailing the crush will be a significant step in getting close to perfection!!! Good luck.

Back