12 hours enough time for starter w/ stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja09

Reaction score
Just wondering opinions if 12 hours is enough time on a stir plate? Yeast is wlp001 that's apparently only 60% viable. Beer is an APA at 1.056, will be pitching all 1.2L tonight. Thanks :mug:

12 hours probably isn't ideal but I'd say 12 hours is way better than none at all. It will at least get the yeast active somewhat before you pitch.

Just my .02¢

Thanks, I was thinking 12 hours might be enough since it's a low gravity beer... I agree it's probably not ideal, but I'm hoping the yeast will mostly be replicated by then? Maybe they just wont be finished eating?

By the way I used ~60 seconds pure o2 on the starter, plus yeast nutrient. That with the stir plate should really help get it going. (I hope!)

Typically you would want to pitch your starter at high krausen, and 12 hours might be about right. The yeast starter I pitched this morning took about that long, but it was rinsed yeast from the day before.

So you'll probably be fine, but I'd keep an eye on it and let it sit a little longer if you don't notice much activity. If it's coming from the vial it might take a bit longer.

With a stir plate, you're probably at the lower end of the good range at 12 hours.

I saw a video a while back showing one of the White Labs guys talking about how long to leave a starter on the stir plate. He suggested 14 hours and said that going over a day was simply "beating up on the culture".

Just wondering opinions if 12 hours is enough time on a stir plate? Yeast is wlp001 that's apparently only 60% viable. Beer is an APA at 1.056, will be pitching all 1.2L tonight. Thanks :mug:

Why do you think it's only 60% viable?

If it's because of the Mr Malty calculation and the yeast has been kept under refrigeration you may want to rethink that viability and read this article:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/refrigeration-effects-on-yeast-viability.html

-*Puts on flame suit (implying that the pope can be wrong often gets you flamed)*

Adam

12 hours probably isn't ideal but I'd say 12 hours is way better than none at all. It will at least get the yeast active somewhat before you pitch.

Just my .02¢

This is also what I find.

I tend to wait and decide to brew just a day or so before. I often don't really leave the yeast on the plate long enough.

At 12 hours, I'm not sure how much you amplify your count, but I think it's worth the extract. Much less than 12 hours and I'm not sure I'd bother.

Cheers!

I planned an Irish red for Saturday morning, so started my last wlp oo4 Friday night on my stir plate. It was a little old (a lot - from last Nov). Got a little concerned while brewing, as no krausen appeared. Finally hit the panic button and scoured the refer for something else to help. Well I found another more recent 004, so I warmed it up to about 85 and dumped it in. Literally within 5 minutes I had an almost full head of krausen. Not going to speculate what took place or recommend this line of action, but I did what I thought was necessary and the RED is perking nicely, right now. (BTW I let it stir for about 3.5 hrs before pitching)

Just an update. I hit high krausen around 8 hours but didn't pitch until the next morning because of high temps. I used pure o2 for the starter, so that may have sped things up.

2013-08-05 21.17.37.jpg

Back