Smacked the h*** out of my smack pack (Wyeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my second batch of beer. I couldn't persuade my Wyeast bag to break with my hand, so whacked it with a meat tenderizing hammer--the smooth side. I think it worked, but, just to be sure, whack, whack! I hit it again, and--uh oh! Some came spewing out. Should I save the bag and do a starter with it, or just give up on this one and get a new one in the a.m.?

Thanks!

P.S. I am using a kit.

It's recommended to sanitize the pack before cutting it open with scissors, so my concern would be the yeast has been contaminated unless say the hammer, pack, and surface it was on were sanitized... would go with a new pack personally. The internal pack is just a viability check anyways, the yeast would likely be ok even without breaking that pack.

you seriously hit it with a hammer. yikes.

for future reference you can move the inner bubble to a lower corner and just press with your thumb until it pops. use your other hand to keep it in place. no need for hammers.

I smacked the smack pack hard enough to pop the bag when I made my last batch. I sanitized the bag and pitched the yeast into the starter I had prepared within about 30 minutes of smacking. I would spray the bag down with Starsan and pitch it as soon as you can. I think you'll be fine, just keep everything sanitary as usual.

You did... what?

It's a little plastic bag... just lean on it against a table and it will pop. It's not at all necessary to pop it even. Especially if it involves hammers.

That said, probably not an issue but you could have contracted an infection.

I just moved the inner part to a corner, put in the palm of my hand and smacked it pretty good with my other hand. Worked just fine.

I had one that would not pop also... I just gave up on it since I was making a starter anyway.

I'm getting ready to start my second batch of beer. I couldn't persuade my Wyeast bag to break with my hand, so whacked it with a meat tenderizing hammer--the smooth side. I think it worked, but, just to be sure, whack, whack! I hit it again, and--uh oh! Some came spewing out. Should I save the bag and do a starter with it, or just give up on this one and get a new one in the a.m.?

Thanks!

P.S. I am using a kit.

Ummm...I don't know where to start.

What do you use to kill flies? A flamethrower?

lighten up on the guy. so tfw if he thought it was really important that he pop the nutrient pack. wasn't it clear he was a noob brewer? help the guy out, answer his question if you have to comment, and move on. rant over.

Thanks for the help! The great thing about having made this mistake is that I never have to make it again. Killing flies with a flamethrower? No, I use a crème brûlée torch for that. :)

I had roaches in a camper once. I burned the thing to the ground and sprayed gas on the ones that tried to escape. Let me know if anyone need my extermination skills. Guaranteed....

Back