WL Brett L, ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
So I have 2 vials of White Labs Brett Lambicus and I am not sure what to do with them.. I really like the idea of using one of them as the only yeast strain, 100% Brett, can this strain work in a sour blonde or is it better suited for a darker wort? Also, am I correct in the thinking that I need to make a starter, or step it up once, to use as the only yeast? If so, should I add oxygen or is the stirplate a better route? I have never done a blonde sour, so if anyone has any recipe suggestions, I am open and would appreciate the assistance!

It's my understanding that you need to step up the white labs brett twice. That's what I did with claussenii, letting the starter go a week each time. I also think you want to aerate the starter, no idea if stir plate or continous O2 is better. I just swirl mine periodically, maybe you can get enough growth in one step with more advance aeration. By the time I pitched, the starter had a pellicle and an odd smell, but the final beer came out very well, IMO.

Here's on from the recipe database - The Muse - All Brett L Blonde

100% brett L would work in a blond or dark wort, but it will not produce a sour blonde unless you plan on adding bacteria as well. you will need a large starter for 100% brett as you should be pitching near lager rates. most of the 100% brett beers i've done and have tried have a belgian character so i'd go with a recipe suited for that

I did a BDSA once that finished around 1.026, so I pitched Wyeast's Brett Lambicus - turned out pretty dang tasty. Like a Dark Strong Ale covered in cherry pie. That thing is pretty sneaky for 11.6%!

I guess sour blonde is not the right term, I am looking for that cherry pie taste, but in a blonde. So if I use this as the primary strain, will I not see that flavor profile?

Latest posts

Back