Portable Keg Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about doing the same thing. Looks good so far. I was thinking of a hinged lid. I don't think you will need a drain. My cooler kegerator holds the ice for 48 hours, so a heavy duty trash can liner will do a great job. When the kegs are empty, just pull them, then tip the puppy over to drain the water and pull the bag. Its' then ready for the next party.

Just remember to have room for the shanks sticking in. You'll want to be able to pull the kegs out without scratching them.

Joe Dragon said:
Thanks for the input Ed. The hinged lid is a good idea. I plan on using the picnic taps I have so I don’t think I have to worry about the shanks. Hmmmmm, that may be a better idea. Maybe an inexpensive tower with two taps out the top……. Maybe too messy for stained plywood. Picnic taps can be pulled out away from the cooler. Darn it, now I want the whole thing to be sealed, no holes and a tower........ cha ching$$$

You can get faucets, shanks & handle for $32 per set at Micromatic.com. That's what I would do. I would also put a handle on the back end of it so I could tilt it back and move it around like it was a dolly.

I've thought about making one (once the magic kegger is online & the aging cabinet is re-filled). I'd be tempted to start with a cheap hand truck. Stronger, easier to roll and plenty of room for taps and a CO2 tank.

Here's the one I just built. I recently upgraded my grill and built it in to my porch, giving me the cart portion to use for my draft cart. When I got the innards done I put two chilled and one unchilled keg in plus about a bag of ice and the ice lasted for over two days. The Hoegarden tower originally only had one tap (a cheap plastic thing). I drilled a second hole. I had one faucet, and the other two I bought off of fellow HBTer BlindLemonLars. The metal tower was a temporary loner. I'm going to build a PVC one for that spot. This was designed for party use, not continuous use. I've got a bar complete with ceramic tower for that.

Cart1.jpg

Pig roast beers served: L to R
Heather Braggot (Guest brewer), Cry Baby Wheat, Eau de Köln, Alt 'ns Brown
Cartback.jpg

Cartlidopen.jpg

I designed the opening in the back such that it was big enough to fit a carboy in. Now I need to rig is up so I can use it as a fermentation chiller!

Total ghetto manifold made for less than $15. As it is just for parties I didn't worry about valves. I still want to install another quick disconnect before the manifold so I can remove it when not in use for dispensing. There is about a 1/4" gap between the shell and the insulation so that when outside in the sun thehot metal doesn't directly transmit heat to the insulation

Cartmanifold.jpg

The shelf (removable) for the CO2 tank is actually two metal shelf brackets bent in and bolted together and the board has a wood brace underneath that can't bee seen.
CartCO2.jpg

I debated lid styles quite a bit and changed my mind several time. In the end I decided that I didn't want to have to lift the portion with the towers on it, especially since they are fragile, plus I already had a piano hinge. I had visions of the balance being upset when the lid was opened and the whole thing tipping over since the base is fairly light weight.

I need to go back and do some more caulking and/or put some kind of coating on the inside. Currently it leaks. I used a little blow up kiddie pool to hold the ice.

Good luck with the party. My cart was a last minute job too. I need to do some more finish work, but I need to get some more beer going first.

I posted more detail in another thread but somehow it got lost.

Portable 3 gallon keg along with #5 co2 in an old suitcase that I insulated.

Total cost $15 (sytrofoam, PL300 and thumb tab).

Note: I had the suitcase already and I fill it with cold packs.

18953461_10155436052007915_1933964104296364261_o.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

I just had a silly thought: I could drill a shank through my sill plate and mount a tap from my keezer directly to the side of the house long beer lines have many uses :)

Back