SMaSH with Gambrinus ESB Malt & EKG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jholen

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has done a SMaSH with Gambrinus ESB Malt and EKG?

For those not familiar with Gambrinus' ESB Malt - here is the description from their website:

Gambrinus ESB Pale (3-4°L)
This “Extra Special British” pale malt is malted for brewers seeking the unique flavor imparted by well-modified British malt.

Sounds similar to Maris Otter? I figured it would be pretty good - not sure on exact amounts as I'm at work, but figured I'd toss the idea out there. :rockin:

I'm not familiar with it.

I'm brewing up an ESB tomorrow using Optic malt. I've heard it's like Maris Otter on steroids, in terms of British flavor and aroma. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I've got a maris otter/EKG smash in primary now, and if the smell coming from the airlock is any indication, it's going to be awesome. So if this malt is better than that, should be killer.

Should've mentioned too...

My ESB isn't technically a SMaSH, but it's pretty close! It's just Optic, EKG, and just a bit of Crystal 60 and Flaked Maize.

Was wondering if anyone has done a SMaSH with Gambrinus ESB Malt and EKG?

For those not familiar with Gambrinus' ESB Malt - here is the description from their website:

Gambrinus ESB Pale (3-4°L)
This “Extra Special British” pale malt is malted for brewers seeking the unique flavor imparted by well-modified British malt.

Sounds similar to Maris Otter? I figured it would be pretty good - not sure on exact amounts as I'm at work, but figured I'd toss the idea out there. :rockin:

Haven't done it, but it sounds yummy :ban:

I've got a maris otter/EKG smash in primary now, and if the smell coming from the airlock is any indication, it's going to be awesome. So if this malt is better than that, should be killer.
From what I've read about the malt, it is similar to MO, but has a bit less character.

Either way, considering I can get a 55lbs back for ~$40 I'm going to give it a go! Thinking of doing more towards a session beer, any suggestions on a hopping schedule? 5 gallon batch. Looking forward to plugging this into BeerSmith when I get home! :cross:

SMaSH: ESB/EKG

All-Grain

Batch Size: 5 gallons into fermenter, with an estimated pre-boil of 7.5 gallons

Grain Bill:
8 lbs ESB Pale Malt (Gambrinus)

Hops:
1.20 oz EKG (4.4%) - Pellets @ 60 mins (21.6)
0.50 oz EKG (4.4%) - Pellets @ 30 mins (4.6)
0.50 oz EKG (4.4%) - Pellets @ 1 min (1.5)

Thinking of mashing @ 151 for 60 mins then bring up to mash-out.

Yeast:
US-04

Seems kind of in line with a English Pale Ale, just a tad more than an Ordinary Bitter, more in the Best Bitter range, but on the lighter color side of things.

Any thoughts?

did you make this beer? how did it turn out?
Never did brew it, but I think I am going to give it a go this week. My brewing came to a stop during a move.. relocated now and back at it. And... just had my brown porter finish and it tastes great. Thinking I'll repitch my 1028 into this.

Brewed this today..

Here's what I went with:

ESB/EKG SMaSH:

9 lbs ESB Gambrinus Malt
1.5 oz EKG @ 60
0.5 oz EKG @ 30
0.5 oz EKG @ 10
0.5 oz EKG @ flameout

Haven't oxygenated yet, but after will repitch my Wyeast 1028 from a brown porter that just finished.

OG came right in at 1.042 (was expecting a bit higher) - pH was also a bit high, will adjust accordingly if I brew this again.

Have you had a taste yet? Probably a bit too soon, but I was thinking of doing a partigyle with a similar combination, having a barley wine as the big beer with a single hop (undecided as of now, something British though) and what you have there as the small beer.

Yeah, a bit too soon. About another week carbing in my keg. I don't force carb so we'll see!

Tasted it last night when a buddy came over. He said, "It tastes like Stella" (not a big beer drinker)

I think it tastes like an English Pale Ale - definitely improving with age that is for sure.

I've learned greatly recently on how much improvement comes with a little aging (usually noticing how good a batch suddenly tastes when half of it is already gone). Anyway, I ended up going with Marris Otter for mine. Turned out the store had that when I didn't see it there before, and didn't have the esb which I have seen there before. Not entirely sure how they compare to one another but I hear their similar. The BW is looking good, and fermenting like crazy, the small beer was came out a little too small, added some DME and hoping it will come out decent.

Funny though, I got a "tastes like stella" on a bitter just the other day.

I've heard from some that MO might have a bit more flavor than ESB. Similar but maybe a tad bit more?

Yeah, the Stella comment was funny. I don't mind though, I went on to explain the difference between Stella and this batch, and what made this batch stand out. He liked it and wanted a growler to go which I was happy to provide.

Back