Boudin Blanc - supposed to be soft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siobhan

Reaction score
I got an electric meat grinder/sausage maker for Christmas and I'm playing around with it. Made chopped liver and pepperoni, both within the limits of what I expected.

Then I tried a recipe for Louisiana Boudin Blanc. The taste is fine, but the texture, inside the casings, is that of a soft pate. Doesn't firm up, no matter what.

Is this right? I've never had it before, so I don't know what to expect.

Depends on the recipe but yes, it should firm up while in a casing.

Posting recipes helps too. Possibly not enough of a binding agent or something...

Ummmmm, as someone who eats boudin on a regular basis, I would say that it does not really firm up as much as most "sausage". There are various ways that it is made down here. Some recipes call for the rice mixture to be ground up more and that type never firms up. Some people make it leaving the rice a little more "whole" so it is a little firmer, but never the firmnes of say a smoked sausage.

Now, you want to get it a little more firm, throw it on the grill over a low fire, or maybe off to the side of the fire until the casing kinda cooks.

Damn! Y'all got me hungry now!

Well, the recipe asked for 2 1/2 cups cooked rice for 3# pork. However, a comment at the bottom of the recipe said that this much rice made it 'crumbly' and not able to be sliced, so I used 2 cups (cooked in the defatted pork broth). The cooked pork was ground with 2 cups onions and 1/2 cup green onions. The directions said to mix all this together very well with the seasonings, and then to further beat it til it was 'fluffy'.

I don't mind the texture, but the husband is describing it as 'pork toothpaste' and is a little freaked out by it. I just wanted to know if it came out wrong.

Well, the recipe asked for 2 1/2 cups cooked rice for 3# pork. However, a comment at the bottom of the recipe said that this much rice made it 'crumbly' and not able to be sliced, so I used 2 cups (cooked in the defatted pork broth). The cooked pork was ground with 2 cups onions and 1/2 cup green onions. The directions said to mix all this together very well with the seasonings, and then to further beat it til it was 'fluffy'.

I don't mind the texture, but the husband is describing it as 'pork toothpaste' and is a little freaked out by it. I just wanted to know if it came out wrong.

I made it and it was way too crumbly. Port toothpaste is hilarious, and about what I made. I won't be making that again. So if you did something wrong, I guess I did too.

Maybe we followed to the same recipe. Was yours "blanc" (no blood)? [oops, i see it was, I'll bet we made the same thing!]

When you say "beat it until it is fluffy" do you mean you used a mixer like you would for a cake?

The picture below pretty much shows what it should look like (in my opinion), however, I have eaten some that could be described as toothpaste consistency. Not my favorite.
Mels_Boudin6.JPG

Come down here to Louisiana and go to the right place and you'll have some of the best damn boudin you'll ever eat, and the best food you'll ever eat.

jtf3456 said:
Come down here to Louisiana and go to the right place and you'll have some of the best damn boudin you'll ever eat, and the best food you'll ever eat.

I grew up in Baton Rouge and make the trip home from Texas 3 or 4 times a year. I always stop at Best Stop in Lafayette and stock up on boudin. The cracklins are great too.

malthed said:
I grew up in Baton Rouge and make the trip home from Texas 3 or 4 times a year. I always stop at Best Stop in Lafayette and stock up on boudin. The cracklins are great too.

That's some of the best boudin around. Also at the "Mowata Store" in Mowata, LA. Cracklins are great too. My neighbor has a boudin and cracklins store so he makes his own and I always get to have some for free and it's one of the best

I to am having the problem of my Boudin is too soft/wet. What did you discover to be the secret to making the Boudin firm like in the picture. I expect some softness but I want to be able to distinguish the rice, vegetable and meat apart from one another. This is my fourth Butt Roast ... going broke purchasiung veggies and rice.

No, I just mixed it well with my hands until the rice grains were no longer visible.

There's where your problem is, you've over worked your mixture... I'm from Denham Springs like Guidry and I've made several batches of Boudin, and have come out with all different types of textures. I found that when I over worked the mixture it ended up being like paste. The taste was good, but the texture just wasnt there. I've also not added enough liquid and it came out grainy, so it's a delicate process to get it just right, keep on trying.

That's some of the best boudin around. Also at the "Mowata Store" in Mowata, LA. Cracklins are great too. My neighbor has a boudin and cracklins store so he makes his own and I always get to have some for free and it's one of the best

My parents live in Sunset and when I go for a visit I always have to get a couple of pounds of cracklin from Don's in Carencro. I haven't found anyone along that 49 cooridor from Laffaette to Alexandria that has any better than Don's.

I got an electric meat grinder/sausage maker for Christmas and I'm playing around with it. Made chopped liver and pepperoni, both within the limits of what I expected.

Then I tried a recipe for Louisiana Boudin Blanc. The taste is fine, but the texture, inside the casings, is that of a soft pate. Doesn't firm up, no matter what.

Is this right? I've never had it before, so I don't know what to expect.

You definitely want to see some of the grain from the rice, and not overwork it until it is mushy. I've been eating boudin all my life (coonass girl here) and unfortunately my butt knows a good boudin...lol. We are getting ready to make homemade boudin as well - I am nervous about the "overworking" of it. Hopefully my years of indulging in it with lend well to making sure it comes out okay! Don't give up...try it again! :)

Back