Belgian Ardennes 3522 in Table Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Diamond

Reaction score
Pitched 3522 in a low gravity "table beer" brewed over the weekend. Grain bill was nothing fancy, pale and some crystal 60 with 5% oats added for reasons I can't really justify. OG was 1.037 and fermentation stopped after 24 hours or so of solid activity.

I pulled a sample and don't really know what I am getting with this beer. There is a smell that is almost redolent of pool water there. It is unusual to say the least. I am reserving judgment for after the yeast has had some more time to work but there is a dry, almost chalky flavor. I will try it again tonight and see if that has changed at all but I wanted to ask if this is in line with anyone's experience.

Full disclosure; I used unfiltered tap water run through food-grade hose. I have used that in the past without this effect, however so I'm stumped.

How do you know fermentation stopped? What was the reading over the course of a few days?

Also, as Revvy will surely tell you, fermentation is ugly and smelly. So relax.

I use 3522 in my tripels, just give it time, it will give you a great beer.

I know 3522 very well and I bet it is done in 24 hours with an og of 37 points but there are still a lot of fermentation byproducts in there so elevate the temp a tad and wait a week or so for the yeast to clean and condition those byproducts into something tasty.

I get all kinds of nasty, funky smells with 3522. They tend to leave an off-flavor for me in samples right after fermentation but then age out really quickly.

Have you used it before? You may recognize the aroma if you do.

Nice job helping me to feel at ease. Pulled another sample today and the pool smell has abated somewhat. Fermentation is not done, as it turns out. I had assumed as much because it went from incredibly active to almost still. I will warm it up and see. Gravity is around 1.018 so it still has a ways to go.

Thanks all. Finger's crossed.

Will keep updating.

Back