You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your brewing notes include what activities the kids did; here's an excerpt from my Saturday APA brew:

"
11:48 Made 10 min hop addition
Found 2 yr old with arms up to elbows in starsan bucket. Fished him out and washed his arms thoroughly with soap
11:58 Flame out and made 0 min hop addition via 5x kids doing a bit each, then steeped for 5min
"

Starsan won't hurt a kid right?!

Note: he's fine. I'm sure.

Your non homebrewing friends are hanging out while you brew a batch and no matter how many times you hear "Dude, you know you can just go down to the store and buy beer". You justify it with as many explanations as times you hear it.

I had one of friends who hunts say something similar. I came back with "You can just go down to the grocery store and buy a pound of meat." Then he understood.

You're away on a business trip and you get the following message.

Wife: We met with "xxx" from church and it was awesome! Sooooo helpful and so glad we did that. But then (youngest child age 3) goes "guess what!!"
Wife: "All my daddy drinks is beer"
Me: Oh my!!
Wife: Yeahhhhhhh

For the record I don't drink only beer. Also, there are many days I don't even have a sip of beer. Yet my hobby seems to leave a different impression on my youngest.

When making plans to go out on the town for your birthday you make your friends aware you have a self imposed drink limit & curfew because the next day is brew day!

When you are in the middle of a brew day, and suddenly realize you are about to run out of propane. SWMBO volunteers to go get more propane, so you can keep an eye on the boil. I have a really really good wife. :)

Mike

Never. My SWMBO supports me in all things. As I do her. That is what a real relationship is about. Isn't it? This "asking" a spouse to do things, bugs the f#@ck out of me!!

Mike
I'm two months in to a new relationship. Going better than I could have ever imagined; never had this much in common with a woman before. I mentioned that I'm a beer geek; she said all she had ever drank was BMC, and told me I'd have to teach her the other beers.

Mentioned I homebrew, and she told me the next day that she had stayed up for like 3-4 hours that night watching youtube videos on homebrewing, and wants to come help on my next brew day.

I think I've got something really good going on here.

My partner/wife/SWMBO - would NEVER ask me to do something or question anything I do about brewing - she would support me if I wanted to live under a bridge and open a brewery --- I'm with you my friend.

And if I need help with kegging and or bottling she is right there. On the other side she would never "ask" me if she could do something --- I think marriage is a two way street.

I'm two months in to a new relationship. Going better than I could have ever imagined; never had this much in common with a woman before. I mentioned that I'm a beer geek; she said all she had ever drank was BMC, and told me I'd have to teach her the other beers.

Mentioned I homebrew, and she told me the next day that she had stayed up for like 3-4 hours that night watching youtube videos on homebrewing, and wants to come help on my next brew day.

I think you do too!! :mug:

Mike

When you have beer bottles stashed in the bathroom linen cabinets, the pantry, under your desk... and your kitchen resembles a brew house more than a kitchen...

I really need to get that shed cleaned out and insulated and finished for a brew house!

You use your wife's best stockpot for the dunk sparge and drop the lid, smashing tempered glass all over the patio saving the grain bag you were pressing against the kettle lid with the stockpot lid.

Sounds like a keeper! Best of luck.

I had a weird dream over the weekend that I was at a friends house, one that i hadn't seen in over a decade, and we were doing drugs. Snorting stuff to be specific. I was telling SWMBO about it and she asks "like what kind of drugs?"

my response was "would you believe me if I said it was powderized hops?"

Dr Klubb does not need to pulverize hops. He snorts them right out of the glass. But then again, Chuck Norris ain't got nothing on Billy Klubb.

Ahh, now I know what I can spend my $50BK on. And here I thought all I could get was berry pawnches...

The fancy single serving coffee machine at the mechanic shop this morning had a little color LCD on it showing still images of coffee beans roasting and for a moment, I thought I was seeing images of grain.

You will never have a clean smartphone screen again because it is smudged with residue from using calculators and timers on brewday!

I have one gallon jugs of random all over my house. Starters, cakes, sanitizer and yeast washing. And now one dedicated for racking starter into to keep my solera vinegar project moving. My brown ale malt vinegar is fantastic. Time to move 3/4 of it and top that jug up.

You have two free days ahead and all you can think about is planning your brews.

Saturday-BBQ Blonde with us-05

Sunday-Belgian Wit with wyeast 3944 starter you made before brewing on Saturday.

:ban:

You recycle 2 trash bags of bottles while cleaning out the garage/brew area and still have a good half dozen cases of bottles. Especially when you havent bottled a batch in a while.

I had a weird dream over the weekend that I was at a friends house, one that i hadn't seen in over a decade, and we were doing drugs. Snorting stuff to be specific. I was telling SWMBO about it and she asks "like what kind of drugs?"

my response was "would you believe me if I said it was powderized hops?"

Speaking of dreams. How about nightmares? Waking up in a cold sweat because somehow you didn't bother sanitizing the fermenter.

Must have been reading too much beginner forum.

Speaking of dreams. How about nightmares? Waking up in a cold sweat because somehow you didn't bother sanitizing the fermenter.

Must have been reading too much beginner forum.

I think I posted this somewhere on this thread or elsewhere but there was a period where I had a recurring homebrew nightmare

I use a rope tub + aquarium heater setup to heat my saisons and keep them stable at hot temps. I kept having a dream where I would wake up and find the carboy had inverted and the wort was slowly mixing with the dirty ass recycled water in the tub

I use a rope tub + aquarium heater setup to heat my saisons and keep them stable at hot temps. I kept having a dream where I would wake up and find the carboy had inverted and the wort was slowly mixing with the dirty ass recycled water in the tub

I do this too! It works great.

You know you're a homebrewer when you've never used a laundry tub for actual laundry.

When you live in an absolute pigsty of a house with 6 other guys where the only clean thing is the bathtub (because that's where you soak your bottles in bleach)*

*This was me in late 80's to early 90's living with 6 other guys in University. We had rats in the house it was so dirty, but we could have eaten off the bathtub surface - it was so clean (6 out of 7 guys were homebrewers and the bathtub was always full of soaking bottles - it was never used as an actual tub for bathing).

Kal

Back