Feeding Bugs with maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madinaman

Reaction score
I have a brown ale that I fermented with Roesalare smack pack. the OG was 1.058, and spent two months on the yeast cake, then I racked to the secondary with 1.00 oz medium toast french oak that I soaked in some blueberry wine that I had made a few years back. I just pitched the cubes, non of the wine the oak had been steeping in. I was wondering if anyone had ever done feedings with maple syrup. My gf's uncle gave me about 4 gallons of it, thought it would be an interesting thing to feed the beer at around 6 months, 8 months, and then 12 months.

I would think that making a maple mead would be a much more interesting use of the maple syrup than simply feeding you complex brown ale.

That was my other thought.... It is good and dark, so it should lend lots of character to a mead.

What brett strain would you use to accentuate that flavor though? Do want something leathery/horsey to complement the flavor, a pineappley contrast, or go with a cherry pit funk?

Back